outlook2007 unresponsivePlea

patriciapedraza

Dear all,
I hope somebody here can help me. For 4 days my computer does not respond to
any command in Outlook 2007.
I open Outlook2007, it downloads my new e-mail and then it stops I can see
the screen with the new messages, but cannot do anything with them. The mouse
stops working so I cannot open the messages, manipulate contacts or make
anything with my calendar.
The mouse works well with the other applications though, IE, MSWORD, EXCEL.
I've done this so far:
1. Changed the antivirus from AVAST to AVG - Nothing was found with either.
2. Run Ad-Aware - Cleaned cookies.
3. Run MV Reg Clean to clean the registry.
4. 'Repaired' MS OFFICE installation
5. 'Disk Cleanup’
6. 'Disk Defragmentation'
5. Reduced the mouse speed.
6. I am asking for help here.

I have a Dell Latitude D520 - Laptop
2G RAM
80G HD
Windows Vista Premium (Small Business)
Internet Explorer 8
MSOFFICE 2007

I've used this computer for 2 years with Vista and MS Office, and did not
have this problem before.

Any ideas?
Please reply to (e-mail address removed)
Thanks in advance,
A. Patricia Pedraza

F.H. Muffman

[...]

Exit out of Outlook.
Check task manager make sure that outlook.exe is not running under processes.
Start - Run - outlook /safe

Try to reproduce the problem.
Any ideas?
Please reply to (e-mail address removed)

Newsgroups are a medium where people can look at previous problems to determine
steps before they post. Emailing you, thus shutting any troubleshooting steps
out of the record, would defeat that functionality. In other words, you
posted here, we work on the issue here.

patriciapedraza

Dear H.F. I tried your suggestion but got nowhere. Start, run,
outlook/safe, gives me an error message, stating that "Windows cannot find
'outlook/safe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I did not mean to get out of the newsgroup, but as I do not know where the
problem is, I requested an e-mail to make sure I could retrieve it. I got
e-mail notification which is how I retrieved your answer.

Last night I noticed that setting outlook to off-line, before freezing,
allowed me to close outlook, re-open it in off-line mode and I was able to
handle 2-3 messages at a time before it freezes again. That's some
improvement as I can slowly get to my e-mails, but I need Outlook to work as
before, on-line, since I cannot reply, forward or send any messages when
off-line.
Does this new information help any?
Thanks,
Patricia Pedraza

patriciapedraza

Dear Neil, where do I find that scan?
As I search for scanpst.exe, I get a "no items match your search", choosing
'search everywhere'.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Patricia Pedraza

F.H. Muffman

I hope somebody here can help me. For 4 days my computer does not
Dear H.F. I tried your suggestion but got nowhere. Start, run,
outlook/safe, gives me an error message, stating that "Windows cannot
find 'outlook/safe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then
try again."

outlook SPACE /safe

outlook /safe

There's a space there.

neil154

I don't understand why you did not find scanpst.exe but it should be in
c:\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\office12

F.H. Muffman

I don't understand why you did not find scanpst.exe but it should be
in c:\program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\office12

Unless you're not running a 64-bit version of Windows.

Personally, I wouldn't run scanpst except as a last resort, assuming that
she is actually using PSTs.

patriciapedraza

After a long and painful road, my problem was the size of the outlook file.
It grew to 2G and it froze. To fix it, I figured that Outlook would last
longer without freezing working off-line, which I did to delete many, MANY
messages. Once I deleted what I could dispose of, then I executed an auto
archive. Outlook is working well now with the exception of the calendar
reminders which do not work any longer.

If anyone knows how to restore the calendar reminders and would like to help
me, I'd appreciate it.

I hope this helps somebody with the same problem.

Thanks to those who replied to my post trying to help me.
Patricia Pedraza

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Did you try the /cleanreminders switch? Close Outlook, at Start menu, Start
search or Run type
outlook.exe /cleanreminders

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]