Outlook2003 Default Profile

G

Hi,
I am trying to setup outlook so that when ever a user logs on to any computer it creates a default profile. The users are using roaming profiles.
I used Custom Installation Wizard to create an MST file with settings for our Exchange server and %username% as the username. I saved this and ran installation on a computer. It installed OK and when I tried Outlook it did infact configure it correctly.
However when I logged in on the same machine as another user it ran the Outlook profile wizard as normal and prompted me to input the information.
Reading the help on the Internet it mentions that I will have to email a CMW file round with these settings in, is this correct or can I automate it so that any user can log onto any machine and create a profile if they havent already got one?
TIA
Gary

G

Thanks for your response, unfortunately we are using a similar method at the moment. I created a .prf file using custom installation wizard and then created a batch file with "outlook.exe /importprf custom.prf" for a command line. This creates the profile but I was looking for a better way of doing this through a transform.
The downside to the importprf method is that it runs outlook so is not ideal to put in a login script or an autostart registry entry.
Cheers
Gary

J

Jason

I understand. This product method is very different from what your currently doing.
Just try it first. It should accomplish your goals and be invisible to
the user.

G

I have tried the product and, although the process is slightly different, the end result is the same as the /importprf command line switch for outlook.exe.

My goal is to create an Office 2003 installation that will automatically create new users when they execute outlook, the method that a Microsoft document describes works for the user that runs the installation, but subsequent users get the normal outlook profile wizard.

If the product was freeware I might have considered it, but the only advantage it has over the one we use at the moment is that outlook doesnt start up when the profile is created.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Gary

G

No, you miss understand. The users are already created on the Exchange Server. What I want to do is automatically configure the users roaming profile from any computer: only when they run Outlook which doesnt have a default email profile.

A Microsoft Trainer mentioned that you can create a "transforms" which will auto configure the Outlook default profile when a user runs Outlook that doesnt already have a default email profile. This I have got working, but it will only work for the user that runs the transform file to install office. Subsequent users need to run a CMW file (Custom Maintenance Wizard) with just the settings in.

Ask a Question