Outlook Outlook "Unknown Error 0x8007007E"

Reaction score
I recently replaced the hard disk on my Dell PC using the disk copy utility which came with the hard disk. Everything seemed OK until I tried to run Microsoft Office 2003 applications. The main problem is Outlook which gives me the error "Unknown Error 0x8007007E" when trying to receive email. I can send mail with no problems. Other Office apps (Word, Excel) launch but give me a "Preparing to install" window when loading. I was unable to run the Office repair utility or even uninstall/reinstall the package. Also, IE didn't work initially, but magically started to work OK.

I thought it was some Microsoft spyware that was unhappy about the new hardware, and ran the upgrade for XP to reregister. No help. I found and ran the scanpst.exe utility which found/fixed errors in my pst file, but did not fix the problem. I checked for, and found, inetcomm.dll in the System32 folder. I downloaded and ran the Windows "install cleanup" utility and removed/re-installed Office 2003 to no avail.

Recently did a XP pro install (instead of a plain upgrade), which didn't help. I downloaded a registry cleaner to see if that would help. Maybe now, I should reinstall office, though several attempts to "repair office" did nothing. I tend to thing this is more of a system/Office level problem, vice Outlook, because of the errors in Word/Excel.

Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
caknuts

Last edited:
Reaction score
Problem solved.... not sure which XP or Office reload did it... or the registry or who knows...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
caknuts said:
Problem solved.... not sure which XP or Office reload did it... or the registry or who knows...
:thumb:

Always more satisfying to fix it yourself. ;)

Ask a Question