Outlook security settings problem

Mitchell

Outlook 2000 IMO WinXP will not allow me to send an email with an attachment
containing a URL. I get
the following message: Outlook blocked access to the following potentially
unsafe attachments: www.xxx.url. Any suggestions how to fix?
Thanks, Mitchell

Robert Findlay [MSFT]

Here is a link to an article that explains the behavior of the Outlook
Security Update,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;262631. Here is
another link that mentions why URLs are blocked by the security feature,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;264128.

Here is a link to an article that explains how to modify the Level 1
security of the Outlook Security Update,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;318515. To allow
the use of URLs you would want to remove the .url extension from the list
of blocked extensions.

I hope this information is helpful.

Robert Findlay
Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup
Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications

Brian Tillman

Mitchell said:
Outlook 2000 IMO WinXP will not allow me to send an email with an
attachment containing a URL. I get
the following message: Outlook blocked access to the following
potentially unsafe attachments: www.xxx.url. Any suggestions how to
fix?

Send the URL in the body of a text message or send the page itself as an
attachment.

Mitchell

Is this caused by an XP function or a security setting? It used to work fine
when I was running OL 2000 on WIN 98.
Thanks, Mitchell

Robert Findlay [MSFT]

Yes it is a security feature of Outlook XP and it was also included as part
of the E-mail Security Update that came out for Outlook 2000. If you did
not install the security update in Outlook 2000 then you wouldnt have had
the issue in Outlook 2000.

From: "Mitchell" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook
Subject: Re: Outlook security settings problem