Outlook Express no longer reads news

I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro. With XP Home I was able to use
Outlook Express to read newsgroups. Now I no longer receive any new posts.
I contacted my ISP and they told me that their news server was running fine,
and they verified the name of the news server (OE still had the correct
name). I unsubscribed, rebooted, and resubscribed with no results. I use
Norton Internet Security 2007, in case it matters. Any suggestions?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Please post this to the OE newsgroup.

Click Here:

P. Johnson

Pete said:
I just upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro. With XP Home I was able to use
Outlook Express to read newsgroups. Now I no longer receive any new
posts.

This can happen with any news server and client if the news spool on the
server was reset. Deleting the account from OE and re-adding it fixes it
in most cases. A longer term fix would be to use a more robust news
client, such as XNews (http://xnews.newsguy.com/), which lets you reset
it's newsrc without having to delete and recreate the account...

You might try an Outlook Express related newsgroup instead, such as

P. Johnson

Please don't backwards quote.
http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting
Please post this to the OE newsgroup.

Click Here:

Invalid link. News URLs are and don't allow the
specification of a news server. The correct URL for what you're going for
is nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general or

See RFC 1738 for the current standard for URLs.
http://rfc.net/rfc1738.html

PA Bear

And if you use the MS newsserver?

e.g., news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:
OE General newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Deleting the account from OE and re-adding it

That did not work, but it was worth a try. I think I'll try another
newsreader, like the one you mentioned.

Everyone wondered why I did not post in an OE newsgroup. Well, my
newsreader does not work (hence why I am here), so I used the only resource I
knew, the Microsoft webpage for Microsoft newsgroups. I did not see any
newsgroups for OE, but I probably did not look hard enough.

PA Bear

Inline.

P. Johnson said:
Please don't backwards quote.
http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting

There are no top/bottom posting rules in MS newsgroups.
Invalid link.

It most certainly is a valid link to the OE General newsgroup accessed using
the MS newsserver news://msnews.microsoft.com.
News URLs are and don't allow the
specification of a news server. The correct URL for what you're going for
is nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general or

See RFC 1738 for the current standard for URLs.
http://rfc.net/rfc1738.html

<yawn> As OP's issues appear to be caused by the newsserver he's using, he
should test accessing newsgroups using the MS newsserver. (The link
might not work if OP's default
newsserver doesn't carry it.)