Outlook Express 6 and Acronis True Image Problem

Jack Gillis

I am thinking of switching from Norton Ghost to Acronis True Image for a new
machine I am putting together.

I have downloaded the True Image Trial Version and used it this morning to
back up my C: (System Drive) and my D: (Data Drive including the Outlook
Express Store Folder.) During the back up process, I did some work with
OE.

After both backup processes completed, I went to OE and found all my
Newsgroup subscriptions had disappeared. Panic time. I restored C: from
the True Image file and the subscriptions appeared just as they were before
the backup.

I wonder if any one else here uses True Image and has experienced this sort
of thing. Could it be that working in OE while the backup process was
running caused this problem?

I have Googled this to see if there might be some restrictions on using the
system (XP Home) while the back up process runs but have find none.

Thank you for any insight on this.

Richard Urban

I have used True Image numerous time "while" I am in these news groups. I
have never had the type of problem you describe. If that were the norm,
there would be much howling about it in these groups. As it is, many people
advise the use of either True Image or Ghost (latest versions please).

I believe that your problem was just co-incidental.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Kerry Brown

Jack said:
[...]

I use True Image and have never seen this. While I have never seen it, it is
certainly possible that using OE while TI was creating an image could cause
a problem. The OE store is easily corrupted. I've never checked but TI must
lock the file it's using in some manner. I recommend you don't create images
while Windows is running to avoid any possible conflicts like this. Boot
from the TI recovery CD and create your images from there.

Jack Gillis

Kerry Brown said:
I use True Image and have never seen this. While I have never seen it, it
is certainly possible that using OE while TI was creating an image could
cause a problem. The OE store is easily corrupted. I've never checked but
TI must lock the file it's using in some manner. I recommend you don't
create images while Windows is running to avoid any possible conflicts
like this. Boot from the TI recovery CD and create your images from there.

Thank you both, Kerry and Richard.

Richard, The problem may well have been coincidental. The next time I get
a chance, I will repeat the exercise, add some variations and see what
happens. I expect you are right about the howling if this were a real
problem.

Kerry, I looked at the log file and saw no sign of TI locking any files on
the D: drive. It showed locking C:.

One of the 'features', as I understand it, of TI is to be able to make an
image while in Windows. This implies you can still do things while TI does
its work. However, I don't have the warm fuzzies with that and using the
recovery CD does give them to me.

Thanks to both again.

P.S. I've never been real sure about the proper way to acknowledge multiple
thanks.

Kerry Brown

Jack said:
Thank you both, Kerry and Richard.

Your welcome.
Richard, The problem may well have been coincidental. The next
time I get a chance, I will repeat the exercise, add some variations
and see what happens. I expect you are right about the howling if
this were a real problem.

Kerry, I looked at the log file and saw no sign of TI locking any
files on the D: drive. It showed locking C:.

One of the 'features', as I understand it, of TI is to be able to
make an image while in Windows. This implies you can still do things
while TI does its work. However, I don't have the warm fuzzies with
that and using the recovery CD does give them to me.

I have done a couple of images while Windows is running but like you using
the recovery CD just seems like a better option to me.
Thanks to both again.

P.S. I've never been real sure about the proper way to acknowledge
multiple responses to a question. Hope I haven't offended either by
combining my thanks.

Usenet has many zealots that seem to be only concerned with doing things
"the right way" rather than actually communicating. For me it's whatever
works in any given thread. Anyone that would be offended shouldn't be on
Usenet :)

Gary

[...]

I have been using True Image for a while now and never had a problem like
that. True Image has saved me a couple of times.

Jack Gillis

No, they are on D:

The problem happed once again and I thought to look in OE's tool/options. I
found the store folder set to C:. Go figure. I pointed it back to
D:\Outlook Store Folder and things went back to normal.