outlook email rejected due to invalid message ID

Gary Ferland

Greetings,
All email sent from outlook are now rejected by the domain of one of my
correspondents. They had recently upgraded their anti-spam filter to check
that the message ID of incoming emails is valid. Here is the rule that
outlook, as set up on my computers, violates:

=================================
533 5.7.1 Illegal Message-ID

RFC 2822 requires each mail to have a unique Message-ID. Your mail had a
message-ID ending in "@localhost" or "@localhost.localdomain". So there is
no guarantee it is unique. Hence your mail was rejected.

Remedy: Configure your mail software and/or your host/mailserver correctly
so your Message-ID ends in your fully qualified domain name.

=================================

the message ID that outlook generates does indeed end in "@com" and so
violates this rule, which is said to be an internet standard.

How can I change the domain name so that it has a proper domain name
rather than just "com"? Is this controlled by outlook? I am send/receiving
by SMTP/pop3, with the outgoing SMTP host being IIS on Windows 2003 server.

thanks!

Gary

Gary Ferland

I'd say this is in your IIS configuration. Check in an IIS group.

I think i can rule this out - the same problem occurs if I use gmail for
outbound smtp . The message id ending in ".com" is being generated by
outlook.

Here is the page of the site that refused to accept outlook emails- the
rejection reason is the second from the bottom:
http://www.aeronomie.be/en/contact/emailproblemswhy.htm

the "553 5.0.0 Missing Message-Id" error. But its correction does not help,
the machine already has a domain set up. the problem is that outlook is not
using the domain name set up in the computer name tab.

This is outlook 2007 / sp1 on xp.

thanks for any help,
Gary

Bill R

With me the Message ID ends in .org. I assume Outlook adds whatever the end
of the email address is.
What is the ending of the ESMTP ID (or maybe SMTP ID) of your rejected
email?

Gary Ferland

With me the Message ID ends in .org. I assume Outlook adds whatever the
end
of the email address is.
What is the ending of the ESMTP ID (or maybe SMTP ID) of your rejected
email?

Thanks for the replies. here is the is.

by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id i6sm523401gve.5.2007.12.21.07.18.11

this is one of the ones that they rejected. It went out through gmail smtp.
smtp with iis on server 2003 has the same failures.

They are looking for xxx.yyy.zzz as the host name. They don't actually
check the host name, but just look that the format is correct. A typical
message id generated by my install of outlook will look something like

(this is from a real email). The problem is the fact that it ends in @com.
that can't be a real host name, so the email is rejected as spam. If the
message id ended in @com.com, or anything (i think @junk.junk would have
worked) that might be a legitimate host name so it would not be rejected.

There is an undercurrent of "microsoft as the evil empire" in all this -
their webmaster told me to stop using outlook, that it is not complient with
internet email standards.

the heart of the matter is, where in the program, or the windows registry,
is the "@com" set, and how can it be reset to something that has the right
format for a domain?

thanks,

Gary