Outlook breaks e-mail body text into multiple attachments - 2nd Request

Steve Snure

Our company uses GoldMine for e-mail for internal users, but our external
users use Outlook (MS Office 2003). Both our GoldMine and Outlook users are
complaining that when they receive e-mail (typically mail that was received,
replied-to, received again, etc.) originated by Outlook, Outlook breaks the
e-mail body into multiple attachments, This is seen as multiple icons by
the e-mail recipient whether the recipient's mail client is Outlook or
Goldmine. Note that this does not happen when mail is originated via
GoldMine. I've reviewed this newsgroup and have seen others reference this
problem, but no definitive solution. I've also received mail from outside
of our company with the same problem. I suspect there may be a
configuration option that could impact this, but I've yet to find it.

Here's what I've done thus far:

* All users are configured to compose in HTML using Outlook (not Word) for
editing. (Although I've tried using Word, it didn't affect this problem.)

* I've confirmed that Tools>Options>Preferences>Email Options setting 'On
replies and Forwards' are set as 'Include original message as text' rather
than 'Attach original message'.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide...

Regards - Steve

Brian Tillman

Steve Snure said:
Our company uses GoldMine for e-mail for internal users, but our
external users use Outlook (MS Office 2003). Both our GoldMine and
Outlook users are complaining that when they receive e-mail
(typically mail that was received, replied-to, received again, etc.)
originated by Outlook, Outlook breaks the e-mail body into multiple
attachments,

I suspect what you're seeing is that the message body is NOT beling broken
into multiple attachments, rather each reply is being presented as an
attachment. This also happens with AOL. I suspect there's a mismatch in
the interpretation of the MIME standards between Outlook and GoldMine or the
packaging each app uses that is causing it. There's no setting in Outlook
to fix this.

However, the release notes for GoldMine V6.50 seems to indicate that there
may be fixes to the way GoldMine handles some Outlook messages.

Steve Snure

Brian,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I think that you are correct saying that each
"reply" is being broken into separate attachments. However, this not only
happens from Outlook to Goldmine, it also happens Outlook to Outlook. So
I'm wondering if this is less a Goldmine issue and more of an Outlook issue?
If that's the case I would think that many Outlook users would be seeing
this problem.

....Steve

Brian Tillman

Steve Snure said:
Thanks for your prompt reply. I think that you are correct saying
that each "reply" is being broken into separate attachments. However, this
not only happens from Outlook to Goldmine, it also
happens Outlook to Outlook. So I'm wondering if this is less a
Goldmine issue and more of an Outlook issue? If that's the case I
would think that many Outlook users would be seeing this problem.

The usual form Outlook uses for replies or forwards is to place the original
in the body of the message, separated from it via a horizontal line, like
the following. This form is used for HTML and Rich Text. For Plain Text,
the horizontal line becomes