Outlook Outlook 2010 - received emails are going to Outlook Express

Reaction score
Hello, I hope you can help!

I have installed Outlook 2010 as an update to my Outlook Express.

I can send /receive fine having manuallt set-up the incoming/outgoing server info etc, but when I send test messages or from my separate O2 email account, all sent and newly received emails are all going to the old Outlook Express, and not into the new Outlook 2010.

Why is this, I hope you know as I do not.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Reaction score
I installed Outlook 2010 and did not uninstall Outlook Express first as I was unsure about losing all the emails and it was not mentionedon the instructions. So there are both types installed on the PC, with the emails going to the older Express version.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
What I meant was, one program running at a time. If you have both installed, it won't be an issue. However, if you have both open at one time, whichever program is faster in checking mail will receive it.

If you use both programs at once, try the "leave messages on server" option.

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Outlook-Express-To-Leave-Email-Messages-On-The-Server
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/o...ssages-on-your-e-mail-server-HA001150793.aspx

For small tests, maybe a day is sufficient. This will cause whichever program you place this option into to leave messages for another program to access. This is installation and account specific, meaning you have to make this change to every instance of Outlook/Outlook Express you use to check that particular account.

Reaction score
Hi, I have tried with only Outlook 2010 open, which is what I want, I don't need Express anymore, but it still receives and sends in Outlook Express even when it is not open. Sending an email from my O2 account to Outlook 2010, I get a new email message and envelope appear stating a new message but as nothing arrives I shut 2010 down and open Express and there it is. Same with the test messages after configuring 2010 as the default mail client, they appear in Express!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
step one. Don't open outlook express. If you don't want to use it as your mail client, stop opening it. The program will send/receive when it is opened.

step two. Use outlook 2010 to send/receive mail. Stop opening Outlook Express.

step three. Verify that your account settings are correct.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-or-remove-an-e-mail-account-HA001231634.aspx
See the part about adding a POP account. Chances are, this is the account type you have.

If your server names are not the correct ones, then you will not send or receive. Sounds like your test messages are sending if they are showing up when you open Outlook Express, so something is right.

Reaction score
Go to internet options in your internet explorer under Tools /Internet options/Programs and choose your Email software eg Microsoft office outlook :D You should have been asked if you want to have outlook your default or something to that effect

Last edited:

Ask a Question