Outlook 2007 Send Problem using another e-mail account


G

Guest

Outlook 2007 Beta was working great for me. Outlook 2007 is not. I am at
charter.net but also have e-mail accounts from other domains. In Outlook 2003
and in Outlook 2007 Office Beta I could send messsages as a user from these
other domain e-mail accounts using smtp.charter.net as the outgoing mail
server. I don't want the message being sent via my personal Charter.net
e-mail account, but from the other domain e-mail accounts.

The resulting error messages is Sending Reported error (0x800CCC80) 'None of
the authentification methods supported by this client are supported by your
server'

I have been struggling with testing this and changing settings for 45
minutes. In about 5 minutes I downloaded Thunderbird on this PC, installed it
and configured the mail account and had no problem sending an outgoing
message via the charter.net mail server via the other domain e-mail account.

So I can receive all my messages from charter.net and the other domain, but
can only send a message within Outlook from the charter.net account.

Any suggestions or what is up with this? I could use Thunderbird as a
solution, but I would rather used Outlook. If it helps I am using Windows
Ultimate version signature edition.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Roady [MVP]

The method you are refeing at still works in Outlook 2007 RTM as well. Is
this a clean install or have there been any previous version (including
betas) of Outlook installed on this system?

In addition you could also set the SMTP server to use authentication and/or
configure it with the original SMTP servers of the ISP hosting your mailbox.
 
G

Guest

It was a fresh Install of Outlook 2007 and of Vista Ultimate. Only unfresh
thing was the import of the PST file containing actual mail messages. But
all account settings and message rules were setup manually (why don't these
things carry over when you backup to a file?)

My settings were:
Under Server Information Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) smtp.charter.net

Under the "more settings" tab I had checked the "My outgoing server requires
authentication" & "use same settings as my incoming mail server"

This currently works in Outlook 2003 on my Laptop with the same accounts. I
also tried the "log on using" option and specified the full username and
password for the charter.net account. This should be the correct setting as
this is how Thunderbird settings are for all messages to be sent through
smtp.charter.net.

Now the kicker is I just got it to work. If you have an outgoing message it
seems it has to be deleted after you make changes to the settings. If you
don't it is just stuck there. After coming up with a correction combination
of settings, when I tried to test the settings by hitting the send/receive
button, it would appear everything worked fine, and no error message would
appear. So the message had to be deleted 1st, then a new message created
and tested.

The right combination in Outlook 2007 for me was to send e-mail messages
from a different domain through the Charter smtp server:
1. Under Server Information Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) smtp.charter.net

2. Under the "more settings" tab check "My outgoing server requires
authentication"

3. Check "log onto incoming mail server before sending mail."

In Outllook 2003 on my laptop it is different because the "use same settings
as Incoming Mail Server" radio button is checked rather than "log on to
incoming mail server radio" button.

Whether it matters or not I do not know, but first I did have the radio
button "log on using" checked and the username and password filled in. When
checking the Log onto incoming server radio button these fields get blanked
out.

So I have no idea why it is different, but I guess the important thing is I
finally got it work. Whether this is a flaw with my installation/system, or
just a different manner that Outlook 2007 works I do not know as I only have
one version of Outlook 2007 currently.

Thanks for your help

Marcus

Roady said:
The method you are refeing at still works in Outlook 2007 RTM as well. Is
this a clean install or have there been any previous version (including
betas) of Outlook installed on this system?

In addition you could also set the SMTP server to use authentication and/or
configure it with the original SMTP servers of the ISP hosting your mailbox.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----
Marcus said:
Outlook 2007 Beta was working great for me. Outlook 2007 is not. I am at
charter.net but also have e-mail accounts from other domains. In Outlook
2003
and in Outlook 2007 Office Beta I could send messsages as a user from
these
other domain e-mail accounts using smtp.charter.net as the outgoing mail
server. I don't want the message being sent via my personal Charter.net
e-mail account, but from the other domain e-mail accounts.

The resulting error messages is Sending Reported error (0x800CCC80) 'None
of
the authentification methods supported by this client are supported by
your
server'

I have been struggling with testing this and changing settings for 45
minutes. In about 5 minutes I downloaded Thunderbird on this PC, installed
it
and configured the mail account and had no problem sending an outgoing
message via the charter.net mail server via the other domain e-mail
account.

So I can receive all my messages from charter.net and the other domain,
but
can only send a message within Outlook from the charter.net account.

Any suggestions or what is up with this? I could use Thunderbird as a
solution, but I would rather used Outlook. If it helps I am using Windows
Ultimate version signature edition.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Roady [MVP]

You're welcome! :)

"If you have an outgoing message it seems it has to be deleted after you
make changes to the settings."
That is correct.

I'm not sure why it works different for you on different Outlook versions as
that shouldn't be the case. But you're using the failproof method now ;-)

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----
Marcus said:
It was a fresh Install of Outlook 2007 and of Vista Ultimate. Only
unfresh
thing was the import of the PST file containing actual mail messages. But
all account settings and message rules were setup manually (why don't
these
things carry over when you backup to a file?)

My settings were:
Under Server Information Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) smtp.charter.net

Under the "more settings" tab I had checked the "My outgoing server
requires
authentication" & "use same settings as my incoming mail server"

This currently works in Outlook 2003 on my Laptop with the same accounts.
I
also tried the "log on using" option and specified the full username and
password for the charter.net account. This should be the correct setting
as
this is how Thunderbird settings are for all messages to be sent through
smtp.charter.net.

Now the kicker is I just got it to work. If you have an outgoing message
it
seems it has to be deleted after you make changes to the settings. If you
don't it is just stuck there. After coming up with a correction
combination
of settings, when I tried to test the settings by hitting the send/receive
button, it would appear everything worked fine, and no error message would
appear. So the message had to be deleted 1st, then a new message created
and tested.

The right combination in Outlook 2007 for me was to send e-mail messages
from a different domain through the Charter smtp server:
1. Under Server Information Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) smtp.charter.net

2. Under the "more settings" tab check "My outgoing server requires
authentication"

3. Check "log onto incoming mail server before sending mail."

In Outllook 2003 on my laptop it is different because the "use same
settings
as Incoming Mail Server" radio button is checked rather than "log on to
incoming mail server radio" button.

Whether it matters or not I do not know, but first I did have the radio
button "log on using" checked and the username and password filled in.
When
checking the Log onto incoming server radio button these fields get
blanked
out.

So I have no idea why it is different, but I guess the important thing is
I
finally got it work. Whether this is a flaw with my installation/system,
or
just a different manner that Outlook 2007 works I do not know as I only
have
one version of Outlook 2007 currently.

Thanks for your help

Marcus

Roady said:
The method you are refeing at still works in Outlook 2007 RTM as well. Is
this a clean install or have there been any previous version (including
betas) of Outlook installed on this system?

In addition you could also set the SMTP server to use authentication
and/or
configure it with the original SMTP servers of the ISP hosting your
mailbox.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003


-----
Marcus said:
Outlook 2007 Beta was working great for me. Outlook 2007 is not. I am
at
charter.net but also have e-mail accounts from other domains. In
Outlook
2003
and in Outlook 2007 Office Beta I could send messsages as a user from
these
other domain e-mail accounts using smtp.charter.net as the outgoing
mail
server. I don't want the message being sent via my personal Charter.net
e-mail account, but from the other domain e-mail accounts.

The resulting error messages is Sending Reported error (0x800CCC80)
'None
of
the authentification methods supported by this client are supported by
your
server'

I have been struggling with testing this and changing settings for 45
minutes. In about 5 minutes I downloaded Thunderbird on this PC,
installed
it
and configured the mail account and had no problem sending an outgoing
message via the charter.net mail server via the other domain e-mail
account.

So I can receive all my messages from charter.net and the other domain,
but
can only send a message within Outlook from the charter.net account.

Any suggestions or what is up with this? I could use Thunderbird as a
solution, but I would rather used Outlook. If it helps I am using
Windows
Ultimate version signature edition.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top