Outlook 2007 prompting me to archive

sheana

Hi,

I have Win7 64-bit OS. MS Outlook 2007 keeps prompting me to "archive" my
messages. I want to do this, but would like to know what will happen to my
messages if I do.

Thanks in advance,

sheana

Peter Taylor

Hi,

I have Win7 64-bit OS. MS Outlook 2007 keeps prompting me to "archive"
my messages. I want to do this, but would like to know what will happen
to my messages if I do.

Thanks in advance,

sheana

They'll be archived :) A new .pst file will be created where old emails
will be stored and will appear where your normal .pst file is in Windows
Explorer and will also appear -- and be accessible - right below your
current folders in the folders tree at the left in Outlook. It's a good
idea to do it because it will make Outlook more responsive. After it
archives, you should compact your messages in the original .pst file. If
you don't know how to do that, post back.

sheana

Thanks for the instructions. Might as well tell me how to compact so I can
do the entire routine!

Peter Taylor

Thanks for the instructions. Might as well tell me how to compact so I
can do the entire routine!

Open your control panel and look for the Mail icon. Do this with Outlook
closed. Click on the Mail icon and click on the Data Files button.
Select the Personal Folders .pst file and click on the Settings button.
Then click on the Compact Now button. It could be very quick or take
time. Be patient if it takes a long time as it will finish.

Gordon

"sheana" wrote in message

Thanks for the instructions. Might as well tell me how to compact so I can
do the entire routine!

No need. Outlook 2007 compacts "as it goes" when the program is idle.

Peter Taylor

"sheana" wrote in message
Thanks for the instructions. Might as well tell me how to compact so I can
do the entire routine!

No need. Outlook 2007 compacts "as it goes" when the program is idle.

Yes, but she just archived and had never done that so it would probably
need to be compacted this one time.