Outlook 2003 with Comcast email

Joe Martella

I am trying to configure Outlook 2003 for use with my Comcast email account.
I have confirmed all of my settings are correctly configured in Outlook
(POP3, mail.comcast.net as Incoming Mail Server and smtp.comcast.net as
Outgoing Mail Server) but I am still having a problem.

When I click the Test Account Settings button, I get Completed status for
everything except Log Onto Incoming Mail Server, where after about 30
seconds, I get a Failed status. The errors tab indicates the following -
Outlook could not connect to the incoming POP3 mail server because your
mailbox on the server was in use.

In Outlook, when I click Send/Receive, I get the following error:

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E) : 'Your
mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another e-mail message is being
delivered to it or another mail application is accessing it. The server
responded: -ERR box locked'

I have no issue at all, with the identical settings in Outlook Express.
Although Comcast provides configuration instructions for Outlook 2003, a
call to customer service yields a response that they do not support Outlook
use for their email.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

Joe

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Can you check your account using the Web Interface? Is there an overly
large message there? How are your account usage stats looking? I use
Comcast for my personal mail and have never seen that error.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Joe Martella asked:

| I am trying to configure Outlook 2003 for use with my Comcast email
| account. I have confirmed all of my settings are correctly configured
| in Outlook (POP3, mail.comcast.net as Incoming Mail Server and
| smtp.comcast.net as Outgoing Mail Server) but I am still having a
| problem.
|
| When I click the Test Account Settings button, I get Completed status
| for everything except Log Onto Incoming Mail Server, where after
| about 30 seconds, I get a Failed status. The errors tab indicates
| the following - Outlook could not connect to the incoming POP3 mail
| server because your mailbox on the server was in use.
|
| In Outlook, when I click Send/Receive, I get the following error:
|
| Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E) :
| 'Your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another e-mail
| message is being delivered to it or another mail application is
| accessing it. The server responded: -ERR box locked'
|
| I have no issue at all, with the identical settings in Outlook
| Express. Although Comcast provides configuration instructions for
| Outlook 2003, a call to customer service yields a response that they
| do not support Outlook use for their email.
|
| Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to work?
|
| Joe

Joe Martella

I can check using both the Web interface as well as Outlook Express without
any problem at all. In fact, I just checked via the web and I don't have a
single email in any of my Comcast folders.

Newbie1

Did you make sure you are NOT logged in to the Webmail and the Outlook
express is closed? It could be just like the error says... Someone else is
logged in...YOU???

Just to eliminate the obvious.
HTH

Joe Martella said:
I can check using both the Web interface as well as Outlook Express without
any problem at all. In fact, I just checked via the web and I don't have a
single email in any of my Comcast folders.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
Can you check your account using the Web Interface? Is there an overly
large message there? How are your account usage stats looking? I use
Comcast for my personal mail and have never seen that error.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Joe Martella asked:

| I am trying to configure Outlook 2003 for use with my Comcast email
| account. I have confirmed all of my settings are correctly configured
| in Outlook (POP3, mail.comcast.net as Incoming Mail Server and
| smtp.comcast.net as Outgoing Mail Server) but I am still having a
| problem.
|
| When I click the Test Account Settings button, I get Completed status
| for everything except Log Onto Incoming Mail Server, where after
| about 30 seconds, I get a Failed status. The errors tab indicates
| the following - Outlook could not connect to the incoming POP3 mail
| server because your mailbox on the server was in use.
|
| In Outlook, when I click Send/Receive, I get the following error:
|
| Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E) :
| 'Your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another e-mail
| message is being delivered to it or another mail application is
| accessing it. The server responded: -ERR box locked'
|
| I have no issue at all, with the identical settings in Outlook
| Express. Although Comcast provides configuration instructions for
| Outlook 2003, a call to customer service yields a response that they
| do not support Outlook use for their email.
|
| Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to work?
|
| Joe

Joe Martella

Yes, I am not logged in when I am attempting to retrieve mail using Outlook.

Joe Martella said:
I can check using both the Web interface as well as Outlook Express without
any problem at all. In fact, I just checked via the web and I don't
have
single email in any of my Comcast folders.

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
Can you check your account using the Web Interface? Is there an overly
large message there? How are your account usage stats looking? I use
Comcast for my personal mail and have never seen that error.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Joe Martella asked:

| I am trying to configure Outlook 2003 for use with my Comcast email
| account. I have confirmed all of my settings are correctly configured
| in Outlook (POP3, mail.comcast.net as Incoming Mail Server and
| smtp.comcast.net as Outgoing Mail Server) but I am still having a
| problem.
|
| When I click the Test Account Settings button, I get Completed status
| for everything except Log Onto Incoming Mail Server, where after
| about 30 seconds, I get a Failed status. The errors tab indicates
| the following - Outlook could not connect to the incoming POP3 mail
| server because your mailbox on the server was in use.
|
| In Outlook, when I click Send/Receive, I get the following error:
|
| Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E) :
| 'Your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another e-mail
| message is being delivered to it or another mail application is
| accessing it. The server responded: -ERR box locked'
|
| I have no issue at all, with the identical settings in Outlook
| Express. Although Comcast provides configuration instructions for
| Outlook 2003, a call to customer service yields a response that they
| do not support Outlook use for their email.
|
| Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to work?
|
| Joe

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

Could you turn on diagnostic logging (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300479) and post
the OPMLog.log file (preferably as an attachment) after doing a send/receive
that gets this error?

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development

wrote in message Can you check your account using the Web Interface? Is there an overly
large message there? How are your account usage stats looking? I use
Comcast for my personal mail and have never seen that error.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Joe Martella
asked:

| I am trying to configure Outlook 2003 for use with my Comcast email
| account. I have confirmed all of my settings are correctly configured
| in Outlook (POP3, mail.comcast.net as Incoming Mail Server and
| smtp.comcast.net as Outgoing Mail Server) but I am still having a
| problem.
|
| When I click the Test Account Settings button, I get Completed status
| for everything except Log Onto Incoming Mail Server, where after
| about 30 seconds, I get a Failed status. The errors tab indicates
| the following - Outlook could not connect to the incoming POP3 mail
| server because your mailbox on the server was in use.
|
| In Outlook, when I click Send/Receive, I get the following error:
|
| Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210E) :
| 'Your mailbox is temporarily unavailable because another e-mail
| message is being delivered to it or another mail application is
| accessing it. The server responded: -ERR box locked'
|
| I have no issue at all, with the identical settings in Outlook
| Express. Although Comcast provides configuration instructions for
| Outlook 2003, a call to customer service yields a response that they
| do not support Outlook use for their email.
|
| Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to work?
|
| Joe

Doug B

The solution is to create a secondary account. The primary account, for
some unknown reason, won't work with Outlook. I created a secondary
account and viola! It worked.

Doug

Jeff Stephenson [MSFT]

The solution is to create a secondary account. The primary account, for
some unknown reason, won't work with Outlook. I created a secondary
account and viola! It worked.

What do you mean by a "secondary account"? Another account in Outlook?
Another account on Comcast?