Outlook 2003 unable to access menu by right clicking on message

S

Skazm

We have recently upgraded from Office 2002 to Office 2003
on Windows 2000 PCs. Two users are unable to right click
on messages to get the menu options (junk e-mail, etc.).
It was working for them initially but stopped
functioning. We have tried to uninstall and run Office
Clean but were unable to resolve. It seems to work if
they select multiple messages at one time but cannot right
click on single messages to access the menu. A hour glass
flashes and nothing happens. Thank you in advance for any
suggestions you may have.

Reaction score
And the Answer Is...

...Rename the following file: FRMCACHE.DAT, then re-launch Outlook.

(I usually like to rename files rather than delete, Ex. FRAMCACHE.DAT.old)

The file is most likely located under:

C:\documents and settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FORMS\

Regards,
Craig109 [not an M$ MVP]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had the same problem today in outlook 2003 installed as part of the office 2003 professional suite. Running office diagnostics found aproblem and fixed it, but didn't say what that problem was. This did not fix the right click issue.

Next I tried the suggested frmcache.dat fix, but this didn't work.

Thiking back over the last few days i realised the only major change i made ot my system was to install google desktop.
So I openned (Tools->options->other->Advanced Options) and then used the addin manager to remove the google desktop search addin.

Then I went back to advanced options and used the comm addin manager to remove the google add in.

Before retesting I also went into custom forms->Manage Forms and cleared the cache.

Something in all that fixed my problem :) now I can right click on messages as normal.

Reaction score
kaserei said:
I had the same problem today in outlook 2003 installed as part of the office 2003 professional suite. Running office diagnostics found aproblem and fixed it, but didn't say what that problem was. This did not fix the right click issue.

Thiking back over the last few days i realised the only major change i made ot my system was to install google desktop.
So I openned (Tools->options->other->Advanced Options) and then used the addin manager to remove the google desktop search addin.

Then I went back to advanced options and used the comm addin manager to remove the google add in.

Before retesting I also went into custom forms->Manage Forms and cleared the cache.

Something in all that fixed my problem :) now I can right click on messages as normal.

I can confirm that the steps above (minus clearing the forms) does solve the problem. Thanks for the excellent solution! :)

Reaction score
Renaming FRMCACHE.DAT fixed the issue but does anyone know why/how this happened?

Thanks for the solution.

K

Reaction score

It worked for me too x years later !!!
Thanks

Ask a Question