Outlook 2003 only downloading headers

Reaction score
Hi all I will skip the formalities of introducing myself, as I am in dire straights and need assistance. I own a web hosting company and run my own server where my email is stored, so I have full administrative access to the server if needed. My email is setup as IMAP and has aproximately 30 folders with 12,000 emails in total. There are 8500 emails in the inbox itself. and the size of the IMAP store on the server is 650MB.

I had this account fully functional in outlook before reformatting and I am now trying to download the imap cache to my computers again. I am trying this on both my laptop and desktop with the same result so its not an isolated issue. I am using Outlook 2003 with Office SP3.

I have gone into the send/receive setting and set outlook to download the entire message for the inbox, but when I press send/receive it only gets the headers. If I do make this setting to one of the folders with fewer emails such as a few hundred it will download the complete message for that folder.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Zenon

Reaction score
Solution Found!

So I found the Reason, and hopefully it will help someone else who may have a similar situation. I am not sure of the reason, but I assume its a limitation built into Outlook.

As previously mentioned all folders other then the inbox downloaded the messages with no problems headers and message. Only the inbox was behaving strangely. Outlook seems to not want to download more then about 7500 at one time. I forced it to manually download a few fundred messages at a time, and after I got the number of headers down to about 7500 it took off and downloaded the rest on its own.

SOOO the answer is only try to download messages if there is less then 7500 headers in the folder.

Sincerely,
Zenon

President,
BudgettHost Canada Inc.
www.budgethost.ca

Ask a Question