Outlook 2003 cached mode & virus

We have a problem with Outlook 2003 cached mode and a virus. Here is what's
happening. We are an Exchange 5.5 sp4 in a 2003 mixed domain. We run
Office 2003 (sp1) with Outlook 2003 cached mode on the desktops. We use
Trend for Antivirus (Scanmail for Exchange, Officescan for desktops, and
Server Protect for Network shares).

Here's what is happening:

An email arrives with an infected attachment.
The antivirus software for Exchange did not have the necessary dat so the
virus was not detected.
The email is downloaded to the .ost in Outlook 2003.
The antivirus software is updated to detect the virus.
The infected attachment is removed from the infected mailbox by the
antivirus software.
Howerver, here's the kicker, the infected email attachment is not removed
from the .ost.
When you force Outlook 2003 to synch it does not see that the attachment has
been replaced and the .ost remains infected.

Is this a MS Outlook 2003 cached mode bug? Anyone having this problem? We
are desperate to find a solution. We have over 1300 desktops right now that
have infected .ost's. Thanks.

Bruce

Roady [MVP]

When you place Outlook in offline mode (File-> Work Offline) you should be
disconnected from Exchange. Do you then actually see the infected message?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks

I logged in via OWA and OWA contained the replaced attachment indicating
that Scanmail had cleaned the virus. When I logged back into Outlook cached
mode the virus is still there.

-----
[...]

Patricia Cardoza, another MVP, is currently looking for a repro as she has
access to the same setup you have.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks

-----
I logged in via OWA and OWA contained the replaced attachment indicating
that Scanmail had cleaned the virus. When I logged back into Outlook
cached
mode the virus is still there.

in
message news:%23WksX%[email protected]...
[...]

Any luck?

Roady said:
[...]

Not yet, she can't get a repro on it. In other words; things work correctly
for her. Will post back when I hear more about it.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
Any luck?

in
message news:uOqC0%[email protected]...
Patricia Cardoza, another MVP, is currently looking for a repro as she
has
access to the same setup you have.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks

-----
I logged in via OWA and OWA contained the replaced attachment indicating
that Scanmail had cleaned the virus. When I logged back into Outlook
cached
mode the virus is still there.

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote
in
message When you place Outlook in offline mode (File-> Work Offline) you