Outlook 2003 bogs down vista, but not apps

S

smeg

Hi all,

I recently got a new laptop with vista (SP1) installed and installed office 03 with all the most recent updates. Everything was fine until I switched to battery power for the first time. After that, whenever I have Outlook open, switching between applications is really slow, as is windows explorer and the start menu- taking about 2-5 seconds or more to switch apps, open folders, etc. This doesn't seem like much but it's really annoying compared to when outlook is closed. Running on AC power doesn't change anything - the battery power thing might've just been a coincidence. I've:

Reinstalled outlook - no change.
Started outlook in safe mode - normal, fast vista behavior.
Disabled all outlook add-ons (tools>options>other>advanced options>add-in manager & com add-ins) - no change, still slow
Uninstalled Avast anti-virus, which also has an outlook add-in - no change
Run Vista in safe mode - no change
Run Vista in safe mode & outlook in safe mode - normal, fast behavior

When I close outlook, the system is blazing fast, but when outlook is running it slows to a crawl. The fact that starting in safe mode fixes the problem seems to point to 3rd party software, but I've disabled everything I can find to disable, and starting in Vista safe mode doesn't fix the problem either, so I'm stuck at this point.

The other curious thing is that it's just vista that slows down - once I switch to an app (including outlook) they run just fine. Task manager shows that the cpu is barely used, and memory is fine.

The system is 2.5Ghz dual core, 4MB, vista home prof. 64 bit.

Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

D

Diane Poremsky {MVP}

Are you using BCM? do you have all updates installed?

** Please include your Outlook version, Account type, and Windows Version
when requesting assistance **

S

smeg

Sorry, I don't know what BCM is. According to Windows Update, I'm fully up to date on office 03 upgrades.

Ask a Question