Outlined Numbered - Which to Pick (Levels are different fonts)

MJones

Hi,

I'm sure I could solve my problem if I understood, what those 8
Outlined Numbered pictures meant that I could customize. I've used
Word since it first came out, but I've never figured this one out.

Here's what I'm trying to do (white text is TOC & grey is content
details):

1.0 Garamond Bold 14pt White (yes, I need the .0)
1.1 Arial Bold 12pt White
1.2 Arial Bold 12pt White
2.0 Garamond Bold 14pt White
2.1 Arial Bold 12pt White
1.0 Garamond Bold 14pt Grey (here's where the grey numbering restarts)
1.1 Arial Bold 12pt Grey .... continues same as above exept grey

I have four styles:
TOC Level1 White
TOC Level2 White
TOC Level1 Grey
TOC Level2 Grey

Any help would be greatly appreciated since this was due yesterday and
I can't seem to get it right.

Thanks a bunch,

Michele

Suzanne S. Barnhill

The pictures give options of preset numbering; you pick the one that is
closest to the result you're trying to achieve. If the numbering is going to
be applied to the built-in heading styles, it's useful to pick one of the
ones that show Heading 1, Heading 2, etc., because they'll be already linked
to those styles. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html for a
tutorial.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

The pictures give options of preset numbering; you pick the one that is
closest to the result you're trying to achieve. If the numbering is going to
be applied to the built-in heading styles, it's useful to pick one of the
ones that show Heading 1, Heading 2, etc., because they'll be already linked
to those styles. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html for a
tutorial.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

all may benefit.

Michele,

What it appears is that you want to run two concurrent outlines. Is this
correct, or does the "grey" outline start after the "white" outline is
complete?

Let me know, and that will help answer the question..

Eric

Michele,

What it appears is that you want to run two concurrent outlines. Is this
correct, or does the "grey" outline start after the "white" outline is
complete?

Let me know, and that will help answer the question..

Eric

MJones

Hi,

I appreciate both your help.

Eric, the white styles finish before the grey ones, i.e. the white ones
are for the table of contents (grey background) and the grey ones are
for the remainder of the document.

Suzanne, I'll look at the tutorial when I get a minute, but I after
testing some stuff, what I'm really trying to understand is can I make
a style that includes both text formating and outline numbered
formating together?

Thanks,

Michele

-----------------------------

From: Eric - view profile
Date: Wed, Jun 21 2006 11:36 am
Email: Eric <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Not yet ratedRating:

From: Eric - view profile
Date: Wed, Jun 21 2006 11:36 am
Email: Eric <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Not yet ratedRating:

Michele,

What it appears is that you want to run two concurrent outlines. Is
this
correct, or does the "grey" outline start after the "white" outline is
complete?

Let me know, and that will help answer the question..

Eric

Michele,

Yes, you can do that -- it's three steps. You make the style for the
document by picking out the outline closes to what you want, and then, as
Suzanne suggested, look for one with pre-set styles. You can also select the
outline and then go to "customize" to make changes. If you click the "More"
button in the customize window, you'll see where you can connect a style to
the outline level.

Then you go to your style manager and modify the styles for Heading 1, 2,
etc., to have the color, font, and features you want in the document headings.

The final step is to go to the style manager (or stay in it) and modify the
styles for TOC 1, TOC 2, TOC 3 (or however many levels you plan) to reflect
the white style. When you set up your Table of Contents
(Insert-Reference-Index and Tables), just select the option that connects you
to the styles. This also makes an automatic TOC for you from the headings.

Note, if you select a table of content entry in the table of contents Word
generates, the style shows as "hyperlink." Just ignore that and revise the
"TOC" style...it will apply when you generate your table of contents. If you
plan on having a contents listing for figures and tables, can also pick a TOC
style to display for those listings. Usually it defaults to TOC1.

[...]

Thanks Eric. Much appreciated. Your guidance worked and my report is
off to the client Take care,
Michele.