being transmaitted. Comcast has not been helpful, as
they do not support Outlook. What can I do to correct
this problem?

O

Oda Yujiro

Hi! "Dan Dicker" ,

If it works for pop3 and not for smtp, then firstly I would confirm the
correct server of Comcast for smtp.

Have you confirmed the correct "smtp server" of Comcast?
I think that it's smtp.comcast.net .
( by the way pop3 server is mail.comcast.net, isn't it? )

(Maybe you know above , but just in case)

Good Luck!

G

I am having the same issues. When using Outlook and connecting directly to Comcast from home, I have been able to send email. When on another ethernet connection I can receive email to Outlook, but "send" email goes to my Outbox and doesn't go anywhere. I have to go to the comcast.net website and send via that link. It use to work just fine. I can't even get Outlook Express to work.

Based on the "focus" group "chate" on the comcast website it appears that comcast did some sort of upgrade and took a lot of people out of email send service using both Outlook and Outlook Express. No one seems to have achieved any satisfactory resolution and frustration is growing. comcast has been useless in their "customer service".

SMTP and POP3 settings have been checked and verified, so any help or insights into resolution would be appreciated! Sorry, Dan. I don't have one to provide.

G

Dan,

I just got my Outlook to send email. I checked my settings for POP3 and SMTP. Then I clicked the "More Settings" button, and opened the Outgoing Server tab. I then checked the "My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication" button, and the box right below that n"use same settings as incoming server". Voila, it worked. Even sent test messages to my ATT worldnet account and received it just fine. See if that works for you. Good luck!

Karen

B

Brian Tillman

Dan Dicker said:
I have an email account with MSN. I recently began using
Comcast Cable Internet and have 2 email accounts with
them. Prior to using Comcast, I used Outlook 2002 to
send and receive email, without any problems. I have set
one of my Comcast accounts as the default email account,
and I connot send email using Outlook. I can receive
email to all accounts using Outlook, and I can send email
from my Comcast accounts, but only on the wesite, not
using Outlook.

Are you properly authenticating to the outgoing server? Comcast requires
this.

G

Karen,Thanks for your results. Unfortunately, my "Send" button still justs moves the new message to the Outbox. I must click "Send and Recieve" for the messages to be sent. This has been going on for about a year. It does not happen on my computer at my office, but that is a dsl connection. Any other ideas?
Thanks
RC

G

After writng to you I read another message by MVP Russ.
Unclick "Working Off Line" (On top of Exit in the File Drop Down.
Here is the entire message, good luck
RC
I just got my Outlook to send email. I checked my settings for POP3 and SMTP. Then I clicked the "More Settings" button, and opened the Outgoing Server tab. I then checked the "My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication" button, and the box right below that n"use same settings as incoming server". Voila, it worked. Even sent test messages to my ATT worldnet account and received it just fine. See if that works for you. Good luck! It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do
not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working.

In general, here are the reasons automatic polling might fail in Outlook:
1. You have created an unrealistic polling interval. Many users set their
polling interval to 1 minute thinking they will be downloading mail
continuously as it arrives. Such settings are not recommended. They put an unnecessary strain on mail servers and can create conflicting polling requests that can damage your Send/Receive Group or even your account settings. 10 minutes is the recommended minimum.
2. While exiting Outlook, you inadvertently set your profile to Work Offline (this option is immediately above the Exit command in the File menu). 3. You have a damaged Send/Receive Group as documented here: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/3/36.asp
4. You have overridden your Send/Receive Group settings as documented here: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q320/8/36.asp
5. Your mail account settings are corrupt. Recreate your mail account from scratch.
6. Firewall software is blocking your transmission. Disable your Firewall temporarily to see if automatic polling is restored.

S

SgtRich

Unfortunately, my "Send" button still justs moves the new message to the Outbox. I must click "Send and Recieve" for the messages to be sent. This has been going on for about a year. It does not happen on my computer at my office, but that is a dsl connection. Any other ideas?

Click on the Tools menu item, then Options. On the "Mail Setup" tab, do you
have a checkmark in front of "Send immediately when connected"?
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Email Client: Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
News Client (Text): Forté Agent 2.0 www.forteinc.com
News Client (Binaries): News Rover 9.2 www.newsrover.com

G

Unclicking "working offline" seemed to do the trick, but I have not sent out any emails today. Your suggestion has been in place since the original installtion. Thank you.
RC

Ask a Question