Out of sync radios.

Reaction score
I hope that this is the right place to ask this question,it`s to do about audio.
So here goes:
I have two portable digital radios.One in the kitchen and one in the breakfast room,so quite close only a matter of a few yards. But when I turn them on they are out of sync with each other.It makes listening a pain,this also happens with digital sound(radio) on T.V. When I turn on my FM radios,in the same rooms the sound is in sync with each other.
So my question is:
Why are the two digital radios out of sync with each other,and can I do any thing about it?
historian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sell one, buy an extension cable, carry the remaining radio around with you. Problem solved. Next. :fool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Will be interested in the answer to this one too. Our FM radios do exactly the same thing, and our TVs (digital) also. It's like an echo if two are switched on at the same time! Lol

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
sound travels slowly, move closer to one or the other. :)

Reaction score
Will be interested in the answer to this one too. Our FM radios do exactly the same thing, and our TVs (digital) also. It's like an echo if two are switched on at the same time! Lol

Hi Taffycat. As you say it`s like an echo,it`s horrible.
I thought we were going forward into a new era of radio,but if this is the result I hope they don`t turn off FM radio for a long time. Though I must admit I do like to listen to "Radio4 Extra" But with only one digital radio on at a time.
historian

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's sound waves reacting with each other and cancelling each other out.

To eliminate the effect both audio devices must be totally isolated from each other.

In other words, you got both on, close the door.

Mucks is absolutely right as well, placement can make a difference as two identical sound signals will take different times to reach your hearing, producing an echo effect.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/timelag.html

Different buffer sizes and/or different decoding speeds.

A bit more elaborate version:
http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreview/trev_265-kozamernik.pdf

The DAB system chain includes several blocks which introduce a significant processing delay.
For example, the time interleaver introduces adelay of 384 ms, and the audio coder/decoder introduces a delay of several tens of milliseconds.
The total delay in the system may vary from one implementation to the next.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had two anolog radios two feet away from each other tuned to the same station. There was a 10 second delay in one radio. Does anyone know how this was possible? This was just old fashioned analog radios. Thank you!

Ask a Question