Link PC to HI FI

Reaction score
Hi all
Having just about given up listening to the radio (imbecile presenters) I stumbled across a fantastic radio broadcast using the ALOT radio player on my Firefox browser.
I would love to feed this into my HI FI system using a wireless transmitter but do not know how to configure my PC to do it. When I tune in to the ALOT station I get the sound out of the speakers connected directly to my PC
Maplin sell a Wireless PC to Stereo Audio Transmitter which looks like a USB connection to the PC.
Any one any idea how I can tell my PC to route the sound to a USB device?

Operating system Windows XP Home.
Sound configuration SoundMAX Digital Audio.
Regards Terry

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There are number of ways it could be done, Depends on the connections on the PC and HI-FI, If you could tell us more about the connection on the back of the PC, Do you have the usual coloured outputs?

Like this maybe?

soundconnection2.jpg

Reaction score
PC Link to Hi Fi

Hi V-R
Thanks for your response.
Yes have the usual coloured outputs (microphone, line out, line in) + unused connectors for keyboard, mouse, serial, parallel. Mouse & keyboard connected by USB.
Also have Ethernet network connection to BT hub (BT hub has wireless facility).
The PC is a Dell Dimension 4500.

Many thanks Terry

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Hi Terry
here's a link to a review for a Logitech set up. Just from a quick read over it, it would appear the setup comes with software you would need to install along with the USB device

Reaction score
Hi guys
Thanks for your advice.
I looked at the Logitech but the web said it was no longer available.Other similar stuff is much more expensive than Maplins.
Any way it looked similar to the Maplin product, perhaps not as many frills but I only need a basic unit to transmit to my Hi Fi.
My original concern was being able to set up my PC to stream internet radio to my Hi Fi but having read reviews etc it looks like Plug & Play. I hope so as I have ordered it.
If it doesn't work I will get back to you.

Regards Terry

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah i didn't read your Opening post properly, didn't see you wanted to do if wirelessly!

An internet radio maybe another option. :thumb:

Link to what you have ordered please? :)

Reaction score
hi guys
Not bothered about top end Hi Fi, just can't stand listening to ordinary radio broadcasts, particularly the BBC national & regional.
They seem to have a policy of recruiting presenters who are totally boring or raving lunatics.
But then as an over 60 with more than half a brain I am prbably out of kilter with most of the population.
If you haven't tried it, take a look at internet 'ALOT Radio Player' endless choice and you can actually get stations with no advertising (which the BBC is doing more each day) and no idiot presenters asking you to phone in with your favourite pet name or other such tripe.

I will let you know how I get on with the Maplin Audio Streamer.

Thanks, Terry.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm sure we have rather different tastes in music, but if you haven't try looking at Shoutcast radio. - http://www.shoutcast.com/

I'm always listening to the Digitally imported trance channels, (Dont worry they have a hell of a lot more stations. :) )

I listen though Winamp or iTunes. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Radio stations.

I have yet to find a radio station I'm completely happy with as every single one I know seems to think all their listeners only have one taste in music.

I like old stuff and new stuff, funk, soul, rock, reggae, folk, rap, drum & bass, pop, all kinds of crap, really.

I listened to Radio One's first ever broadcast and I still listen to Radio One a lot. Except Chris Moyles, I want to hit him.

Also XFM, Planet Rock, Kiss, Choice and a variety of pirates, mainly black stations.

But like I said, there isn't one that panders to all my tastes, maybe I should start my own one on a pirate frequency ;) In fact what really cheeses me off is radio presenters assuming their audience is biased to only one type of music and being really patronising to their audience, nothing puts me off quicker.

I use Winamp, I-Tunes sucks a large one, imo ;)

Reaction score
Maplin Audio Streamer.

Hi all.
I promised to get back to you with results.
I did get it working but with problems.
First, because it works on 2.8GH it was very susceptible to cutting out if anyone walked between the transmitter dongle and the reciver.
I then purchased a 5m USB extension so I could put the dongle high up in my office to avoid the interference. This worked at first.
However, subsequently it would not. When you plug the USB dongle into the PC (Control Panel, Audio Devices, Hardwear) You can see your default 'Sound Playback' device change to 'USB Speaker'. This cuts out the speakers connected to the PC and transmits through the dongle to the receiver.
But this stopped happening with my PC showing USB Speaker but still playing to the local directly connected speakers.
This may be a fault with the USB system on my PC which was screwed up by HP software when I installed a new HP Photosmart C309a printer which I have now removed including all HP software.
So it worked well sometimes but not others so I have removed it and returned it, simply not worth the hassle. For others it may work fine so I would not say don't.
Regards Terry:blush:

Reaction score
farout here

Terry James said:
Hi guys
Thanks for your advice.
I looked at the Logitech but the web said it was no longer available.Other similar stuff is much more expensive than Maplins.
Any way it looked similar to the Maplin product, perhaps not as many frills but I only need a basic unit to transmit to my Hi Fi.
My original concern was being able to set up my PC to stream internet radio to my Hi Fi but having read reviews etc it looks like Plug & Play. I hope so as I have ordered it.
If it doesn't work I will get back to you.

Regards Terry
not butting in i hope but i always used coaxil plug from amp to pc if the pc has one for sound if not optical. works great.

Ask a Question