Out of Office Utility

I'm using SBS 2003 with Exchange for internal email and I have a POP3 for
external email, I have Outlook 2003 on all client machines, my question is
I'd like to use the Out of Office utility but I can only send/receive
intenally with my Exchange account, and I know that the Out of Office isn't
supported by the POP3 account, do I have a work around somewhere since I do
have the Exchange so that I can respond using the Out of Office?
Thanks Craig

Emily Lin

Hi Craig,

As the Exchange email account is only used for internal email, the Out of Office utility will auto reply all the internal emails. I understand
that you are using the POP3 account for the external emails and you would like to be able to auto-reply the external emails. I
recommend you to perform the steps below in Outlook 2003 to Emulate the Out of Office Assistant. Thanks for your cooperation.

Step 1: Set auto send/receive emails in Outlook
==============
1. In Outlook, click Tools menu > Options.
2. In Mail Setup tab, click Send/Receive.
3. Check "Schedule an automatic send/receive every 5 minutes". Click Close, OK.

Step 2: Define an Automatic Reply Template
===================
1. Open a new Outlook message formatted as plain text.

NOTE: Do not use Microsoft Word as your e-mail editor. (In Outlook, click Tools menu > Options > in Mail Format tab, uncheck the
options "use Word as email editor)
2. Type the information that you want to have in your reply message.
3. On the File menu, click Save As.
4. In the Save As dialog box, click to select the Outlook Template check box in the Save As Type list.
5. Type a name for your reply template in the File Name box, and then click Save.

Step 3: Define a Rule to Send an Automatic Reply in Outlook 2003
=========================
1. On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.
2. In the Rules and Alerts dialog box, click the New Rule button on the E-mail Rules tab.
3. In the Rules Wizard, click the Start from a blank rule button, click Check messages when they arrive, and then click Next.
4. Under Which condition(s) do you want to check?, click to select the Sent Only To Me check box or any other check box that
you want, and then click Next.
5. Under What do you want to do with the message?, click to select the Reply using a specific template check box.
6. On the Step 2: Edit the Rule Description page of the wizard, click the underlined phrase a specific template.
7. In the Select A Reply Template dialog box, click the template that you saved in step 5 of the "How to Define an Automatic Reply
Template" section, and then click Open.
8. Complete the Rules Wizard instructions, click Finish, and then click OK.

Send an email to yourself and wait for 10 minutes. Does Outlook auto reply it?

Note: When you are out of office, please keep the Outlook program opening so that it can auto reply all the messages received.

Related KB article:

311107.KB.EN-US Outlook: How to Emulate the Out of Office Assistant
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;311107

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Out of Office Utility
| Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:40:57 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.outlook.general
|
| Hi,
| I'm using SBS 2003 with Exchange for internal email and I have a POP3 for
| external email, I have Outlook 2003 on all client machines, my question is
| I'd like to use the Out of Office utility but I can only send/receive
| intenally with my Exchange account, and I know that the Out of Office isn't
| supported by the POP3 account, do I have a work around somewhere since I do
| have the Exchange so that I can respond using the Out of Office?
| Thanks Craig

F. H. Muffman

Emily Lin said:
| I'm using SBS 2003 with Exchange for internal email and I have a POP3
for
| external email, I have Outlook 2003 on all client machines, my question
is
| I'd like to use the Out of Office utility but I can only send/receive
| intenally with my Exchange account, and I know that the Out of Office
isn't
| supported by the POP3 account, do I have a work around somewhere since I
do
| have the Exchange so that I can respond using the Out of Office?
311107.KB.EN-US Outlook: How to Emulate the Out of Office Assistant
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;311107

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't
hesitate to contact me.

The only problem here is this will *also* reply to all messages received
internally, not just externally.

You'd probably also want to add the Through the specified account condition.

And, personally, I'd go Roady's route before I went this route.

Why?

Well, this one requires Outlook be running, which means your machine must be
running. Forgetting the whole waste of energy bit, if *anything* logs you
off, this stops working. Be it a Windows Update, a power bump that reboots
your machine, anything.

Also, this has absolutely no loop prevention built into it. Why is that a
bad thing? Consider the following:

You get a spam that isn't caught by a spam filter through your POP account.
Outlook replies to that message, even though the From address wasn't a valid
sender.
You get a message that says your mail couldn't be delivered, and that
address autoresponds.
You reply to that message.
That address autoresponds.
You reply to that message.
That address autoresponds.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat, until someone notices that a mailbox has gotten
obscenly huge (I easily broke a mailbox this way... well over 30k messages
over the course of 12 hours).

Check with your ISP first. For the sake of all that is good and decent in
this world.
If they don't have it, consider if the people mailing your personal account
*really* need to know that you're on vacation to Cabo, or home sick with the
flu.
If you think they really really do, then by all means, go ahead.

Emily Lin

Hi Craig,

I would like to check how things are going. Did you have the chance to try the troubleshooting steps? If you have any other questions,
please do not hesitate to let me know. I look forward to your further updates.

Sincerely,