OT- need a copy of wininit.exe for Windows ME

ms

A cleaner utility in error deleted wininit.exe on my ME computer. I don't have the
ME CD.

I did a search and there has been a virus involving wininit.exe in the past. So if
I find a copy of this file online, it may be risky.

On ACF, is there someone still using ME, or still has the ME CD and can post a
copy of the file so I can download it?

TIA

Mike Sa

Azzman

ms said:
A cleaner utility in error deleted wininit.exe on my ME computer. I
don't have the ME CD.

I did a search and there has been a virus involving wininit.exe in the
past. So if I find a copy of this file online, it may be risky.

On ACF, is there someone still using ME, or still has the ME CD and
can post a copy of the file so I can download it?

Don't now if it's the same file, but I had the same trouble when I was
still on 98SE, and was able to download the wininit.exe from win98SE is
located here (direct download !!!)

http://www.golden-triangle.com/WININIT.EXE

ms

Azzman said:
Don't now if it's the same file, but I had the same trouble when I was
still on 98SE, and was able to download the wininit.exe from win98SE is
located here (direct download !!!)

http://www.golden-triangle.com/WININIT.EXE
Thanks, I'll try it, but if it turns out to be a W98 version, from what I noticed
so far, ME won't use it. I can see why Trash Reg thought it was nasty, the virus
came as a malware wininit.exe.

Mike Sa

ms

Azzman said:
Don't now if it's the same file, but I had the same trouble when I was
still on 98SE, and was able to download the wininit.exe from win98SE is
located here (direct download !!!)

http://www.golden-triangle.com/WININIT.EXE
It works fine in ME, solves the error message. Same file size as W98SE version,
current date due to access today I guess, but it works where the one I copied
direct from W98Se did not.

Thanks again,

Mike Sa

Azzman

ms said:
It works fine in ME, solves the error message. Same file size as
W98SE version, current date due to access today I guess, but it works
where the one I copied direct from W98Se did not.

Good to hear you're problem is solved, one question: what cleaner deleted
the file in the first place ?

ms

Azzman said:
Thanks, I will stay away from it.
Well, that wininit.exe must have been for W98 after all. I know that sometimes it
pays to cold boot several times in a row, to reset something. Yesterday, I cold
booted once, no error message, so I posted here. Shut down last night. This AM,
booted up to the same error message.

Offline, someone else sent me a copy that may be the ME one, will try it today.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Mike Sa

Alan Edwards

You shouldn't need the CD.
All Win ME installs I have seen put the .cab files from the CD into
C:\Windows\Options\Install or C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
If you have Win_17.cab in that area, then open it and extract
Wininit.exe

....Alan

ms

Alan said:
You shouldn't need the CD.
All Win ME installs I have seen put the .cab files from the CD into
C:\Windows\Options\Install or C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
If you have Win_17.cab in that area, then open it and extract
Wininit.exe

...Alan
Thanks, Alan.

I found it in ME. Looks like a set of cabs, etc for install.

There has been reference to a win9x folder in ME containing these files. I don't
locate that one.

Comment?

Mike Sa

Alan Edwards

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by a win9x folder in ME containing
those files. I have no such folder in ME. C:\Windows\Options is the
standard place for them to be copied from the CD when you install.

....Alan

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <[email protected]>
* Newsgroup: alt.comp.freeware
* Reply to: All; "ms" <[email protected]>
* Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:24:52 -0500
* Subj: Re: OT- need a copy of wininit.exe for Windows ME

m> Thanks, Alan.
m>
m> I found it in ME. Looks like a set of cabs, etc for install.
m> There has been reference to a win9x folder in ME containing these
m> files. I don't locate that one.
m>
m> Comment?
m>
m> Mike Sa

Make sure that your "Folder Options are set to "Show hidden files" etc.
or whatever the ME version of that is. Then go to "Start>>Search to open
your search program. In the File name box, Type "*.cab" (without the
quotes). In the "Containing Text" box, Type "Wininit.exe" . It will list
the .cab file(s) that contains the file you want. Double-click on that
..cab file and when it opens, scroll down to the Wininit.exe file. Click
to highlight it then right-click it and choose "Extract". Extract it to
where you want it. Good luck.

ms

* Date:Tue, 20 Dec 2005 06:24:52 -0500
[...]

Thanks, also to Alan.

As things turned out, my other computer now first needs a reinstall of W98SE, am
searching for doing it from hard drive files, can't use CD drive.

Mike Sa