OT [ISO for XP - Info]

Helen

http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm
This information was NOT provided by Microsoft.

How to successfully burn an ISO-image

Before you begin
a.. Burning an ISO image using:

a.. Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder Power Toy ( Free & Recommended by me)

b.. Nero Burning ROM

c.. Padus DiscJuggler

d.. NTI CD Maker 2000 Professional

e.. Roxio/Adaptec EZ CD Creator

f.. WinOnCD

Helen

I couldn't get that prog to work. Soory. I'm still checking it out, but
the info may help even if the prog doesn't work. I can't get it to work on XP.

Helen

Addendum: It does NOT work on XP SP2. There's some good info
on this page, but still I haven't found anything to work with XP-SP2-ISO.

Helen

I don't want to copy videos to my HD. I did get this to copy some files
from one (DVD) disc to another (CDRW), but they can't be read.

It just seems to me that 'regular' CD is better than ISO! ISO is a mere image...
but is supposed to work...but how and with what? It just seems more of a
hassle than it's worth, especially when dealing with XP! [I must get my
98SE machine working again...I think the video card is bad].
Thanks. I have the program and will play around with it, but I don't really
want to burn videos! Do I?

Shel

As long as we're OT, please excuse: what would I gain/lose by installing
Windows XP?

(A few weeks ago I changed from Windows 98 to SE, and just last week from a
300MHz CPU to a 450, with 250Mb RAM)

Helen

Shel said:
As long as we're OT, please excuse: what would I gain/lose by installing
Windows XP?

(A few weeks ago I changed from Windows 98 to SE, and just last week from a
300MHz CPU to a 450, with 250Mb RAM)

Not much! Personally, I prefer 98SE but have XP only because it came with the
machine.
XP takes a lot of controls away from you. Generally speaking, if your machine has XP
or
you install it, it's a bear to impossible to dump. XP initially was 'ok', but with
the supposed
security fixer-upper called SP2 all kinds of little quirky things occur. With your
machine,
I wouldn't change anything...unless it were to add memory. My old 98 (not SE) machine
is 450MHz CPU with 512MB RAM, a 10 Gig (Yes! 10!) HD and it's just fine...except
now I have to replace the video card! Hey, it's been running since 1998, so I can't
fret.

XP HAS to be 'validated' (registered with MS) or it WON'T work. You have a short
amount of time from installing it to "ACTIVATE" it. Mine is kinda goofy...it had the
Dell OEM version, I had to do a Restore (something you NEVER want to DO) and it
wouldn't re-install XP so I had to purchase a copy! ;( goan! It's the only program
that
would work on this machine. Also, XP has NTFS which is an ENTIRELY different
set-up than 98. Win98/SE will NOT read NTFS!

I wouldn't change to XP if I were you until and/or unless I had no choice. Also there
are some programs that require XP and some that 98 will run that XP won't!

Off hand, I can't think of anything I can do with XP that I couldn't do with 98.
Just MHO.

Here's some info - Of course some of these are just hawking the product.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-530950.html

http://aumha.org/win5/kbui.php

http://www.pcadvantage.com.au/browse/details.asp?ProdID=908079

http://www.winxpsolution.com/images/heading1_1_1.gif

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwsystweak.html

Every new edition of Windows is BIGGER, has new problems, requires patches
etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum. It's just more bells and whistles. But depending
on a favorite program you have, it may not work on XP. So you need to check
that out. Over all, more chrome, just like new cars (cheaper made, planned obsolence)
to keep you addicted to the 'latest and greatest' slickwillie conjures up.

Semolina Pilchard

As long as we're OT, please excuse: what would I gain/lose by installing
Windows XP?

Mostly, you'd gain in stability and get all nostalgic about system
crashes and resource issues. On the downside, you'd need to invest in
dark glasses to reduce the glare from the awful interface.

It's ok. It's just another operating system. I hear varying opinions
about SP2 but I don't know - I just leave well alone. Having used
every version of Windows since 3.0, I think XP's by a long way the
pick of the bunch. That's not saying much - most of the rest were
unutterable dogs and a cynical insult to the PC-using public.

Semolina Pilchard

it's not so bad if you switch it to the classic windows theme

I expect that helps quite a bit :)

I use my PC quite a bit and my eyes are fairly light-sensitive. Apart
from the gains in productivity and ergonomic simplicity, using
LiteStep lets me create an interface that I can live with, without
excessive eyestrain. I also use Jasmin 3D Color Changer 3000 to let
me set my window colour. There is - or was - a freeware version but I
can't find an active download now and I see that their homepage is
once again 'temporarily down'.
http://jotenet.cjb.net/

bambam

I don't want to copy videos to my HD. I did get this to copy some
files from one (DVD) disc to another (CDRW), but they can't be read.

OK, now I'm confused. You have a copy of the Pricelessware ISO and you want
to burn it to a CD, correct?
Did you see Bob Adkins post?
<paste>

Simple solution for burning an ISO:

*D/L and install DVD Decrypter.
*Right-click _any_ ISO, select "Burn Using DVD Decrypter"
*Burn to any media!

<paste>

It really is that simple.
It just seems to me that 'regular' CD is better than ISO! ISO is a
mere image... but is supposed to work...but how and with what? It
just seems more of a hassle than it's worth, especially when dealing
with XP! [I must get my 98SE machine working again...I think the
video card is bad]. Thanks. I have the program and will play around
with it, but I don't really want to burn videos! Do I?

XP isn't your problem, and no you don't want to burn videos. Just follow
Bob's instructions above and let us know how you get on.
:)

FadedGlory

Helen said:
[...]

Helen,

The way I understand it is that XP did not put in the function for burning
ISO's in XP. I put in ISO Recorder Power Toy a long time ago and have had
no problems burning ISO's in XP since. I am not running SP2 but there is a
beta out for it.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Good Luck!
FG

Helen

FadedGlory said:
Helen,

The way I understand it is that XP did not put in the function for burning
ISO's in XP. I put in ISO Recorder Power Toy a long time ago and have had
no problems burning ISO's in XP since. I am not running SP2 but there is a
beta out for it.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Good Luck!
FG
Well I tried the one on the page, but it doesn't work with SP2. If there's anything
that will, I don't know where it is. If I could ditch SP2, I would! Most things have
been just one big hassle since that *&*((* was installed!

Helen

Helen said:
Addendum: It does NOT work on XP SP2. There's some good info
on this page, but still I haven't found anything to work with XP-SP2-ISO.
Update: I just NOW removed SP2! It gives a big warning about security risks and
how THESE programs on your computer may not work, then proceeds to list them.
Interestingly enough.... they were FREEWARE! Oh, well, if it took them away,
I WILL GET THEM BACK! This is the first communication after the big reboot!
Now, let's see what happens! I'm sick of SP2!!

Helen