OT - Google kills groups

Jon Danniken

Hey, has anyone checked out Google lately for a groups search? It seems
they've removed most of the useful functionality like threads and replaced
it with useless frames and advertisements.

As someone who has been using the groups search since it was deja.com, I
have to admit that I'm rather taken aback at this tremendous loss. Anyone
else?

Jon

Samik Raychaudhuri

Hey, has anyone checked out Google lately for a groups search? It seems
they've removed most of the useful functionality like threads and replaced
it with useless frames and advertisements.

As someone who has been using the groups search since it was deja.com, I
have to admit that I'm rather taken aback at this tremendous loss. Anyone
else?

Jon
My initial reaction to this change is: I didn't like it. But then, after some time, I thought, I might be good. They haven't removed the thread functionality, they have just put the complete thread in one page w/o frames.
May be I'll like it sometime.

ric

Jon said:
Hey, has anyone checked out Google lately for a groups search? It seems
they've removed most of the useful functionality like threads and replaced
it with useless frames and advertisements.

As someone who has been using the groups search since it was deja.com, I
have to admit that I'm rather taken aback at this tremendous loss. Anyone
else?

Simply put, their new format sucks. They also discontinued archiving some
of the groups with lower activity. Yuck.

Zotin Khuma

ric said:
Simply put, their new format sucks. They also discontinued archiving some
of the groups with lower activity. Yuck.

This was my first reaction, then I said to myself, hey, it may just be
a natural reaction to change from something you've grown used to
for years. Well it's been a few days now and I still think it's yucky.
I wonder what we'll think a few weeks or months from now.

Like the OP, I've been using it since it was deja.com, not just for
searching, but also for posting as my ISP's newsserver was unreliable.
My only complaint was that new postings took such a long time
to show up - upto half a day.

I had just happened to sign up with news.individual.net following
kind advice from some posters here, and started using news reader
software a couple of days before Google changed the format.
My main reason was to be able to see new posts quickly. I still
think Google *was* much better than a newsreader for
general groups reading and browsing. And now this....

As for their no longer archiving some low-activity groups, maybe
they overreached with their 1GB gmail account and have to
tighten their belts. Yeah, it sucks big time.

kony

Hey, has anyone checked out Google lately for a groups search? It seems
they've removed most of the useful functionality like threads and replaced
it with useless frames and advertisements.

As someone who has been using the groups search since it was deja.com, I
have to admit that I'm rather taken aback at this tremendous loss. Anyone
else?

Jon

It's all screwed up now, IMO, including posting for while
but maybe that's fixed now?

I'd much rather they had a "preferences" option/cookie that
lets one choose the layout.

John Doe

I don't know how the new format will look after we get used to it,
but seems to me that too many Google Groups users are trying to kill
Usenet.

CBFalconer

John said:
I don't know how the new format will look after we get used to it,
but seems to me that too many Google Groups users are trying to kill
Usenet.

Please don't toppost. That, and the habit of not snipping and not
properly preserving attributions, are the main problem with users
of google for usenet posting. At the same time it can be a
lifesaver when a proper newserver is not available, possibly
because of company firewalls.

John Doe

My comments were not perfectly on topic either.

From: CBFalconer <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Re: OT - Google kills groups
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:26:32 GMT

John said:
I don't know how the new format will look after we get used to it,
but seems to me that too many Google Groups users are trying to kill
Usenet.

Please don't toppost. That, and the habit of not snipping and not
properly preserving attributions, are the main problem with users
of google for usenet posting. At the same time it can be a
lifesaver when a proper newserver is not available, possibly
because of company firewalls.

JAD

quit wasting time/bytes telling people how to
converse........................you have no right to tell people how they
should do anything. Don't like it? move on!

AgentOrangeCleaner

JAD said:
quit wasting time/bytes telling people how to
converse........................you have no right to tell people how they
should do anything. Don't like it? move on!

I don't like your lack of capitalizing words. And those "................"
are really annoying.

kony

quit wasting time/bytes telling people how to
converse........................you have no right to tell people how they
should do anything. Don't like it? move on!

.... but sometimes, he's right. If we let things go, they'll
not be at the level they are now, they'll be worse. I for
one think bottom-posting is better, more logical and works
best overall, BUT I could live with everyone top-posting if
EVERYONE did. Main thing is, it's better to keep
uniformity, IMO, have a group be all top-posting or all
bottom.

.... and actually, he does have as much of a right to tell
people as you have to tell him, but where does that end?
You have a point too, so I suppose my take on all this is
that it'd just be best if everyone posted the same as I
already mentioned, all of this would be avoided.

CBFalconer

kony said:
... but sometimes, he's right. If we let things go, they'll
not be at the level they are now, they'll be worse. I for
one think bottom-posting is better, more logical and works
best overall, BUT I could live with everyone top-posting if
EVERYONE did. Main thing is, it's better to keep
uniformity, IMO, have a group be all top-posting or all
bottom.

... and actually, he does have as much of a right to tell
people as you have to tell him, but where does that end?
You have a point too, so I suppose my take on all this is
that it'd just be best if everyone posted the same as I
already mentioned, all of this would be avoided.

However bottom (or intermixed) posting is accepted by the various
standards and quasi-standards, and is never wrong on any newsgroup
known to me. It also has the overriding advantage of leading to
articles that make some sense.

It is amazing how much vituperation a "please don't" can engender.

Matt

JAD said:
quit wasting time/bytes telling people how to
converse........................you have no right to tell people how they
should do anything. Don't like it? move on!

quit wasting time/bytes telling people how to
converse........................you have no right to tell people how they
should do anything. Don't like it? move on!

?

=?iso-8859-1?B?VG9taSBI5HPk?=

Jon said:
Hey, has anyone checked out Google lately for a
groups search? It seems they've removed most
of the useful functionality like threads and
replaced it with useless frames and advertisements.

You can give feedback about Google Groups Beta with this feedback page:

http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/request.py

Or you can send email to Google Groups Beta:

(e-mail address removed) (labs-groups2 @ google.com)

Or you can post a message to this discussion group:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/google-labs-groups2

This message contains a list of some of the bugs and problems that have
been reported so far:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/google-labs-groups2/msg/b54c12517c75eb24

More info in the FAQ:
http://www.geocities.com/googlepubsupgenfaq/#groupsproblems