OT: Gifs

Dragon

Off topic i know but could someone tell me how do i make a gif file smaller
without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro butt hen the image
didnt move

cheers dave

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Dragon said:
Off topic i know but could someone tell me how do i make a gif file
smaller without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro
butt hen the image didnt move

cheers dave

You could try the Image Resizer tool - it's a free download from Microsoft
(part of the PowerToys package).

Dragon

nice program but cant seem to reduce a gif file, not sure what i am doing
wrong

thanks anyway

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

I dont think you can resize an animated gif without taking it apart and
resizing each frame then reassembling it...i may be wrong...its been a long
time since ive messed with gif animator programs.

| nice program but cant seem to reduce a gif file, not sure what i am doing
| wrong
|
| thanks anyway
|
| | > www.irfanview.com it's free.

| >> smaller without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro butt
| >> hen the image didnt move
| >>
| >> cheers dave

Tom Pepper Willett

You will first need a GIF animator program to break the image apart so you
can redo the file size on each frame in your image editing program. Then,
you will need the gif animator to put it all back together again.

Tom
| Off topic i know but could someone tell me how do i make a gif file
smaller
| without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro butt hen the
image
| didnt move
|
| cheers dave

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Dragon said:
Off topic i know but could someone tell me how do i make a gif file
smaller without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro
butt hen the image didnt move

cheers dave

PSP comes with Animation Shop. You can open the animated gif file, export each frame of the gif to PSP, resize the frames there and then open the resized frames in Animation Shop to re-create the animation.

Stan Brown

Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:45:13 GMT from Dragon
nice program but cant seem to reduce a gif file, not sure what i am doing
wrong

Ctrl-R to bring up the Resize dialog, make sure the "Resample" radio
button is selected, then click OK (not Cancel). The dimensions of the
picture won't change, but wen you sagve it it will probably be a
smaller file.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

\old\ devildog

Are you trying to reduce the size of the file or trying to reduce the size
of the image?

This is important to know. If you are trying to reduce the size of the
image, then you need to get a gif animator program to resize each image. If
you want to reduce to file size the same may apply. A good Animator program
will allow you to compress the file by many different means, one by deleting
unused colors from the pallet. Irfan View is a great program, I use it and
like it, but you need an animator to really do a good job with gifs. I use
the ULead GIF Animator. It can do both. Check here to find it www.ulead.com.
If you are going to use it, please read the help me files close before
using. It will make the job of using it easier than you think.
--
"old' devildog
-- Semper Fi --

------------------------------

| Off topic i know but could someone tell me how do i make a gif file
smaller
| without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro butt hen the
image
| didnt move
|
| cheers dave

Dragon

"old" devildog said:
[...]

try to reduce the size if the actula file, i got a gif it was 40kb but i
want to reduce that to 20kb if you get what i mean

\old\ devildog

Go ahead and try the ULead GIF Animator (really cheap "free" last time I
checked). You can set the compression rate. You can also open up the gif and
reduce the file size by setting the same color palette for each frame. Read
the help before using and make sure you save the file as something other
than the original file, that way you will not damage the original if you
don't like the outcome.

I made a rose bud with dew on it that slowly opens and the dew falls off the
petals on to the leaves. It repeats and is set as the background on my
wife's account on this computer. She loves it. She gets a rose everytime she
logs on to her account. Right now she is trying to get the system admin's
permission to use it at work. Each frame of the rose were drawn using a
graphics beta I am testing, called Code Name Acrylic from Microsoft. So life
like it is hard to tell from a real rose. File size is around 44k. It was
complied frame by frame using ULead GIF Animator.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.
--
"old' devildog
-- Semper Fi --

------------------------------

| ""old" devildog" <teyoungATmchsiDOTcom> wrote in message
| | > Are you trying to reduce the size of the file or trying to reduce the
size
| > of the image?
| >
| > This is important to know. If you are trying to reduce the size of the
| > image, then you need to get a gif animator program to resize each image.
| > If
| > you want to reduce to file size the same may apply. A good Animator
| > program
| > will allow you to compress the file by many different means, one by
| > deleting
| > unused colors from the pallet. Irfan View is a great program, I use it
and
| > like it, but you need an animator to really do a good job with gifs. I
use
| > the ULead GIF Animator. It can do both. Check here to find it
| > www.ulead.com.
| > If you are going to use it, please read the help me files close before
| > using. It will make the job of using it easier than you think.
| > --
| > "old' devildog
| > -- Semper Fi --
|

| try to reduce the size if the actula file, i got a gif it was 40kb but i
| want to reduce that to 20kb if you get what i mean
| >
| > ------------------------------

| > smaller
| > | without losing the animation, i tried with paint shop pro butt hen the
| > image
| > | didnt move
| > |
| > | cheers dave
| > |
| > |

Black Baptist

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] rambled on in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
You could try the Image Resizer tool - it's a free download from Microsoft
(part of the PowerToys package).

Try the Animator that comes with PSP.