OT Excluding Google in search results?

John Doe

Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

John Doe

Acid Washed China Blue Jeans said:
Have you tried adding the search term -google.com?
Yes.

White folks think they're at the top, | Faded, patched, secret so tight...
ask any proud white male. | I'm whoever you want me to be.
A million years of evolution, | Annoying Usenet one post at a time.
and we get Danny Quayle. | At least I can stay in character.
From: Acid Washed China Blue Jeans <chine.bleu yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.politics.liberalism,sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT Excluding Google in search results?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 09:58:49 -0700

Joerg

John said:
Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/

hp

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

Another advantage to using duckduck is that they claim they Do No
Tracking metrics on anyone searching, AND they claim they dont store
search histories.
Whereas with Google, marketing dynamics are Important to them so they
track and store Lots More Then Some Folks like.

Joerg

hp said:
Another advantage to using duckduck is that they claim they Do No
Tracking metrics on anyone searching, AND they claim they dont store
search histories.
Whereas with Google, marketing dynamics are Important to them so they
track and store Lots More Then Some Folks like.

I am not too concerned about tracking but lately Google has produced way
too many results that appear to be more commercially motivated. Maybe
that seach engine has run its course, at least for me. It was good while
it lasted but now I've pretty much abandoned it.

What I still use it for is maps. But I found that the print-out has
become mediocre. Can't see streets well anymore, the two lines don't
print right. If anyone knows a better map search engine that would be nice.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> someone
claiming to be John Doe said:
Does anybody know how to exclude "google.com" in Google search
results? Somehow I doubt it, but it needs doing here.

-site:google.com will exclude google.com. Rinse and repeat for other
Google properties.

"-site:google.com mail" (for example) lists Yahoo! Mail, Home | Mail
Online, mail.com, hotmail.com, AOL Webmail and others without any
mention of Gmail.

George Herold

Use another search engine. After someone mentioned it here in the group
I am now using this one instead and it is IMHO much better, at least for
engineering stuff:

https://duckduckgo.com/html/

Google is really starting to get to me. It's now a 'secure' site,
htpps:// and asks all the time if I only want to see results from
secure sites.

George H.

John Doe

DevilsPGD said:
-site:google.com will exclude google.com.

That appears to be the concise answer, thanks.

Now... Does anybody know how to put that in a URL so that it comes
up properly on Google's advanced search page?

How do you put that (-site:google.com) into a URL that will take
you to the advanced search page with that criteria ready to go?
I can get to the search page, but it doesn't use that
(-site:google.com) criteria. I suspect that is evidenced by the
fact that the URL criteria is not automatically listed in any
(-site:google.com) somehow fit into the "site/domain" box is
probably the first sign of success, if possible.

Again... You can use the search results example URL, but it does
not work as a start page.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q-site:google.com

That takes me back to the start page, but it does not use the URL
criteria in the new search results.

Here is an example URL that plugs stuff into the advanced search page.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=-wiki&hl=en&num=100

BTW... You might have trouble with the number of search results
100 if you do not know how to automatically reset that number,
since Google stubbornly changes it back to 10.

Joerg

George said:
Google is really starting to get to me. It's now a 'secure' site,
htpps:// and asks all the time if I only want to see results from
secure sites.

Along with some other sites that you don't want to see?

Try other search engines, some are much better IMHO.

George Herold

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/- Hide quoted text -

Arghhh! I have google set as my home page. I was just trying to
remove it and make duckduck the home page. I can't get rid of
google. (It's like a bad dream!) I'm using IE as a browser. When I
go to the option to set home page to the default. (Some MSN thing.)
It still goes back to google!

George H.

Franc Zabkar

Now... Does anybody know how to put that in a URL so that it comes
up properly on Google's advanced search page?

I'm still using Google's very old Advanced Search format. I do this by
saving a local copy of the old AS page on my hard drive, and then
editing its URLs to point to Google.

You could do the same for the current AS page, but you would add
"-site:google.com" in place of the blank text field, as follows:

class=inputwrapper><input class=box type=text value="-site:google.com"
name=as_q style="width:100%">
BTW... You might have trouble with the number of search results
100 if you do not know how to automatically reset that number,
since Google stubbornly changes it back to 10.

I allow Google to store my preferences (25 results) in a cookie.

- Franc Zabkar

John Doe

Franc Zabkar said:
John Doe <[email protected]> put

I'm still using Google's very old Advanced Search format. I do this by
saving a local copy of the old AS page on my hard drive, and then
editing its URLs to point to Google.

You could do the same for the current AS page, but you would add
"-site:google.com" in place of the blank text field, as follows:

class=inputwrapper><input class=box type=text value="-site:google.com"
name=as_q style="width:100%">

How is that supposed to be used? Is it part of a URL? Part of some
HTML code?

Joerg

George said:
Arghhh! I have google set as my home page. I was just trying to
remove it and make duckduck the home page. I can't get rid of
google. (It's like a bad dream!) I'm using IE as a browser. When I
go to the option to set home page to the default. (Some MSN thing.)
It still goes back to google!

Assuming it's not a Google "tool bar" or something, run a virus scanner
and a rootkit scanner. That sounds suspicious. Also, look at all the
plug-ins. Lots of them may have been installed without your consent.

I'd ditch IE and move to something like Firefox. Set privacy settings
and options rather high. If a web site won't properly display without
allowing dangerous scripts then it usually isn't worth looking at in the
first place.

Franc Zabkar

How is that supposed to be used? Is it part of a URL? Part of some
HTML code?

Save the Advanced Search HTML page on your hard drive. Then edit the
HTML code as shown. Create a bookmark that links to the file on your
HDD and use it in preference to the original page.

Here is my first attempt. Save it on your HDD and try it:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/temp/NoGoogle_Advanced_Search.htm

I've partially edited Google's page, but I'm not good with HTML, so
hopefully someone could tidy it up for you.

- Franc Zabkar

George Herold

Assuming it's not a Google "tool bar" or something, run a virus scanner
and a rootkit scanner. That sounds suspicious. Also, look at all the
plug-ins. Lots of them may have been installed without your consent.

I'd ditch IE and move to something like Firefox. Set privacy settings
and options rather high. If a web site won't properly display without
allowing dangerous scripts then it usually isn't worth looking at in the
first place.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Joerg, It looks like it's something wrong with IE. The
secretary can't change her home page either. I'm willing to bet that
the microsoft solution will involve upgrading some old piece of
software. Why do computer issues seem like such a time sink? I learn
something and five years later it's different. No ones changing the
charge of an electron.

George H.

George Herold

Arghhh!  I have google set as my home page.  I was just trying to
remove it and make duckduck the home page.  I can't get rid of
google.  (It's like a bad dream!)  I'm using IE as a browser.  WhenI
go to the option to set home page to the default.  (Some MSN thing.)
It still goes back to google!

George H.

======================

Is your AV program locking it?
Art

Ahh, that could be! I'll ask,

Thanks (maybe)
George

PeterC

Along with some other sites that you don't want to see?

Try other search engines, some are much better IMHO.

I've used Yahoo for several years' partly because of avoiding Google and
partly because, with 2 key strokes, I can drop into the unwanted box:
---------------------------
ebay "compare prices" compare amazon bizrate kelkoo dooyoo pricerunner
shopzilla nextag shoppingcentre freebytes medusa teloos "192.com" "shop.com"
betterdeals "ec21.com" "price comparison" pricemate "ciao.com" kellysearch
fastfinders choiceful shopwiki
-----------------------------------

whereas Google severely truncates that.
Recently Yahoo took to giving weird results, increasing the hits if UK was
invoked/exclusions added(!) and changed its images fortmat to be like
Googles but wouldn't go beyond the first page.
I changed to Google for images but, as has been said, my default of 20 hits
became 10 for any other format.

It's all very annoying as I've had my own urls for ages, with all of my
preferences in and no cookies required - now it's all broken!

PeterC

Joerg

George said:
Thanks Joerg, It looks like it's something wrong with IE. The
secretary can't change her home page either. I'm willing to bet that
the microsoft solution will involve upgrading some old piece of
software. Why do computer issues seem like such a time sink? I learn
something and five years later it's different. No ones changing the
charge of an electron.

Oh, you can do that, too. Just file the requisite patent somewhere. I am
quite sure it'll sail through if worded correctly :)