Organizing "All Programs"

B

Boink

Gosh, I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times, but I tried to do a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm finding it very hard to organize the All Programs listing (short of just dragging and dropping). Unlike all previous Windows versions, the listing doesn't seem to be in just one place on my system (even though I'm the administrator and only user).

Is there a central place and way to organize the list of programs?
Thanks.

C

Cameron Snyder

C:\Users\**your name**\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Gosh, I'm sure this has been asked a zillion times, but I tried to do a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm finding it very hard to organize the All Programs listing (short of just dragging and dropping). Unlike all previous Windows versions, the listing doesn't seem to be in just one place on my system (even though I'm the administrator and only user).

Thanks.

S

Synapse Syndrome

Cameron Snyder said:
C:\Users\**your name**\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs

Easier to right-click the Start button.

ss.

B

Boink

Alas, this my point... I have no such location on my hard-drive ("AppData" under my name). When I go to the "Roaming" location I DO find a goodly number of the items in the "All Programs" list... but it's an abbreviated listing and does not reflect all the items I have in All Programs. Some are scattered in other locations, we've I've never seen until I ran into Vista.

I see that others have had this difficulty because it would appear that aftermarket products have already sprung up to handle this.

C:\Users\**your name**\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Thanks.

S

Synapse Syndrome

Alas, this my point... I have no such location on my hard-drive ("AppData"
under my name). When I go to the "Roaming" location I DO find a goodly
number of the items in the "All Programs" list... but it's an abbreviated
listing and does not reflect all the items I have in All Programs. Some are
scattered in other locations, we've I've never seen until I ran into Vista.

I see that others have had this difficulty because it would appear that
aftermarket products have already sprung up to handle this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

AppData is a hidden folder. you can get to it by typing %appdata% in an
address bar.

ss.

B

Boink

Thanks figured that part out.

Now, the troubling bit is that not ALL items in the All Programs listing are
listed there. Some are elsewhere when I finally find them... but they are
listed in the All Programs.

I tried the "right click" on the Start button and selected All Users, then
Programs... and most are listed, but not about 1/4th of them.

K

Keith Miller \(MVP\)

What you see under the Start menu list for 'All Programs' is a combination of the contents of the All Users Programs folder and the contents of the Programs folder under your user profile.

Right-click the Start button & select 'Open' to view items under your user profile.

Right-click the Start button & select 'Open All Users' to view items common to all users.

Rearrange the various items to your heart's content! :)

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Thanks.

Ask a Question