E

egsdar

I have pps and ppsx files that everytime I try to open them, open in edit
mode instead of the slide show mode. Is there a way to specify this
automatically?

B

Bill Dilworth

You have a problem with your file associations. Don't worry, it isn't like
a social disease or anything, just a small digital glitch.

These directions are written mostly for PPT 2003, but they will show you
what to do for 2007 as well.
Changing a File Association, Repairing broken File Associations
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00355.htm

Bill Dilworth

A

Andy I.

Hi "egstar",

You're not by any chance trying to open them within PowerPoint itself rather
than from where you stored them?
Opening a .pps from PowerPoint results in the edit mode showing.

Andy I.

:I have pps and ppsx files that everytime I try to open them, open in edit
: mode instead of the slide show mode. Is there a way to specify this
: automatically?
:

E

egsdar

Hello, thanks all for the reply.

Well, Actually I'm trying to downloas these pps and ppsx file to open from
the Internet Explorer with the result mentioned before.

Reaction score
You have a problem with your file associations. Don't worry, it isn't like
a social disease or anything, just a small digital glitch.

These directions are written mostly for PPT 2003, but they will show you
what to do for 2007 as well.
Changing a File Association, Repairing broken File Associations
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00355.htm

Bill Dilworth

"egsdar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have pps and ppsx files that everytime I try to open them, open in edit
> mode instead of the slide show mode. Is there a way to specify this
> automatically?
>

I had same problem but think I have solved it. The problem started after recently updating my Office 365. None of my Powerpoint Show files (.ppsx or .pps) would open as Shows and all would open in Power Point as an edit file.

I went to the properties of a file saved as .ppsx which would open in power point in the edit mode instead of opening as a slide show.

In the Properties I went to Opens with, clicked Change then clicked on Power Point and clicked apply and OK.

I saw that the icon had changed slightly and saw that the icons of all my .ppsx and .pps files had slightly changed and all the .ppsx and .pps files now open as a slide show and no longer in Power Point as an edit file.

Don’t know what happened but think that when you work in the latest Power Point and save the file as a .ppsx it really does not save it as a .ppsx but as a .pptx (as it says it must in the Options in the PP program!!). By resetting it’s Opens with afterwards in properties it has magically adopted the .ppsx and changed all the files with that suffix and with .pps to open as shows! Think it bypasses the glitch in the actual programme where it states in Options – Save that it must save as a presentation with no alternative such as a show. To see this do the following:

In Power Point click on File then on Options then on Save in the window that opens. Then check under Save presentations and then next to Save files in this format there is a window which only has 5 choices for the user and they are all forms of Presentation but no mention of Show. So despite you selecting to save it as a .ppsx it subliminally really saves it as a .pptx. The file has a .ppsx suffix but only adopts it when Power Point is reselected in the properties of the file. It then automatically did all similar files on my PC.

Ask a Question