Windows XP Open file take longer times

Reaction score
Good Day Everyone,

Firsly I want to apologise to my dumb english.

Currently have a pc, when morning start using it seem everything fine, once reach the time at evening around 5:45 to 6 o'clock, it takes around 1 minutes to open a file, no matter is coreldraw file, or word file, or excel file, or picture..

But if I open Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel or CorelDraw (didn't have any content, totally blank) it fast, once I open the word file or excel file (inside have content), it hang there around 1 minutes only can open up the whole thing. Previously didn't have this kind of problem.

That PC is in a domain. Connecting to LAN.

Any expert can help me on this?

PC Spec:
Pentium 4 3.0GHz
512MB RAM
Nvidia Ge-Force FX 5200 Graphic Card
80GB Harddisk

Software Install:
Office : Microsoft Office 2003 SBE
Antivirus : Symantec Antivirus Coperate Edition
Others : Active Sync, CorelDraw 12, etc

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
More ram would help ... it's not unknown for XP to 'need' 500Mb just for itself. ;)

Another possibility is 'memory leak', that is to say, a program is not freeing up it's ram as it should for other programs, it gets gradually worse and a re-boot is needed.

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
More ram would help ... it's not unknown for XP to 'need' 500Mb just for itself. ;)

Another possibility is 'memory leak', that is to say, a program is not freeing up it's ram as it should for other programs, it gets gradually worse and a re-boot is needed.

user.gif

Good Day,

Thank you for the information you gave.

But I have tried to reboot the PC, but the problem is still the same.

Just morning that time until evening around 5.30 like that running smooth.. Once after 5.30 around 5.45 the problem come up again. Is it possible infected by a trojan?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I dont think its a RAM issue, Since you said that your PC is on the domain the problem might be on the server from where you are picking up the file.

An empty Word document is opening from you local computer but a word file with content is possibly opening from some server or a remote location?

The difference between opening in morning and evening could be more user traffic by the evening issue?

Also check what programs are running in the background by the evening...

But the most important question is where are you opening these word files from? Are they stored on your local computer or on a remote server etc?

Reaction score
Mmm as you said it only happens at certain times, do you have a scheduled event like a virus scan at that point in time every day? I know every day at one point my virus protection installs new things and slow down my computer alot, so it could be that.. tis a long shot though. :)

Ask a Question