Open each folder in the same window

A-Design

I was trying to change the file folder's icon by going to the file types Tab
in the folder option ,after I chose another icon, every time I click over a
folder, search menu popped out so I got back to the folder option and set
every thing as its defaults, now I got another problem and can't fix it
,each folder doesn't open in the same window ,even by choosing the "open
each folder ...." from the folder option ,can anyone help me to fix this.
Thanks

Afshin

Wesley Vogel

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
General tab | Open each folder in the same window |
Apply | OK

[[Specifies that the contents of each folder open in the same window. To
switch back to the previous folder, click the Back button on the toolbar, or
press BACKSPACE.]]

I that doesn't do it...

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
File Types tab | Scroll down to and Select: (NONE) Folder |
Advanced button | Highlight: explore | Set Default button |
OK | Apply | OK

Explore opens folders with Folders pane on the left.
Open opens folders with common tasks showing on the left.

Thanks to Goldfinger for this tip.

Ramesh [MVP]

Afshin,

Type REGSVR32 /i SHELL32 in Start/Run dialog.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
I was trying to change the file folder's icon by going to the file types Tab
in the folder option ,after I chose another icon, every time I click over a
folder, search menu popped out so I got back to the folder option and set
every thing as its defaults, now I got another problem and can't fix it
,each folder doesn't open in the same window ,even by choosing the "open
each folder ...." from the folder option ,can anyone help me to fix this.
Thanks

Afshin

A-Design

Thank you so much Ramesh that fixed the problem.
Afshin,

[...]

This did not correct the issue. I've tried every fix I could find on the web
to no avail. It appears that many people have this problem and there are at
leat as many fixes! Why hasn't MS addressed this issue?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

David Candy

That fixed the search issue. You need to undo your fix of the search issue then type that command again. You haven't said what you did to fix exactly. I suspect you added something to the registry (via file types dialog), specifically an Open verb on File Folder which will override the correct settings.

Every time you use the File Types dialog to edit folders you must type that command. The File Types dialog writes registry entries for older windows versions which only matters on folders (as the rules in choosing the default command is slightly different in XP). Hence Open is no longer the default and it will take the first verb it can find, which is search on a non edited registry. This is because it has exausted it's list of options and is on it's last fallback strategy of anything it can find. This is a well known minor bug.

Directories (File Folders) inherit their open command from Folders. The file types dialog writes a win 95 entry but XP expects a XP entry so the inheritance link of the default action is lost but not the inheritance itself.

Adding an Open to Directory will override Folders' Open. The Open command is not a simple one and most people wouldn't know how to add correctly.

a nonymous

| Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
| > I was trying to change the file folder's icon by going to the file types Tab
| > in the folder option ,after I chose another icon, every time I click over a
| > folder, search menu popped out so I got back to the folder option and set
| > every thing as its defaults, now I got another problem and can't fix it
| > ,each folder doesn't open in the same window ,even by choosing the "open
| > each folder ...." from the folder option ,can anyone help me to fix this.
| > Thanks
| >
| > Afshin

| "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
| > Afshin,
| > Type REGSVR32 /i SHELL32 in Start/Run dialog.
| > --
| > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP

| This did not correct the issue. I've tried every fix I could find on the web
| to no avail. It appears that many people have this problem and there are at
| leat as many fixes!

It does correct the issue *after* you fiddle around in File Types > Folder

What are all those "fix(es you) could find on the web" ?

| Why hasn't MS addressed this issue?

You will never find the answer to that question in these newsgroups.

This is getting confusing. So, for anyone interested and willing to help Let
me try to clarify my problem. My WIN XP Pro will not open folders in the same
window.
1. It is configured to do so per folder options.
2. I have run "REGSVR32 /i SHELL32" and rebooted before and after step 3
below.
3. I went to File types/folder/advanced and set "explore" to "default". Hate
that option!
4. I noticed on a different system that there is no default set for "open"
or "explore". However, there is no way to turn both defaults off, I.E., it is
either "explore" or "open".
5. There is another thread in this forum named "Folder Options Problems!"
where I submitted further information (export of Registry settings) that was
requested by "Ramesh [MVP] that you can check out.

Thanks, Bruce

a nonymous

| This is getting confusing. So, for anyone interested and willing to help Let
| me try to clarify my problem. My WIN XP Pro will not open folders in the same
| window.
| 1. It is configured to do so per folder options.
| 2. I have run "REGSVR32 /i SHELL32" and rebooted before and after step 3
| below.
| 3. I went to File types/folder/advanced and set "explore" to "default". Hate
| that option!
| 4. I noticed on a different system that there is no default set for "open"
| or "explore". However, there is no way to turn both defaults off, I.E., it is
| either "explore" or "open".
| 5. There is another thread in this forum named "Folder Options Problems!"
| where I submitted further information (export of Registry settings) that was
| requested by "Ramesh [MVP] that you can check out.
|
| Thanks, Bruce

0. and 5. Confusing, yes. Threads must be crossed.

Maybe (long shot) - in Internet Options
Advanced tab
[?] Reuse windows for launching shortcuts

a nonymous

| > | This is getting confusing. So, for anyone interested and willing to help Let
| > | me try to clarify my problem. My WIN XP Pro will not open folders in the same
| > | window.
| > | 1. It is configured to do so per folder options.
| > | 2. I have run "REGSVR32 /i SHELL32" and rebooted before and after step 3
| > | below.
| > | 3. I went to File types/folder/advanced and set "explore" to "default". Hate
| > | that option!
| > | 4. I noticed on a different system that there is no default set for "open"
| > | or "explore". However, there is no way to turn both defaults off, I.E., it is
| > | either "explore" or "open".
| > | 5. There is another thread in this forum named "Folder Options Problems!"
| > | where I submitted further information (export of Registry settings) that was
| > | requested by "Ramesh [MVP] that you can check out.
| > | Thanks, Bruce

| "a nonymous" wrote:
| > 0. and 5. Confusing, yes. Threads must be crossed.
| >
| > Maybe (long shot) - in Internet Options
| > Advanced tab
| > [?] Reuse windows for launching shortcuts

| Thanks but "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" already set.

Assuming that nothing is actually wrong with your XP installation, the only other
setting might be:
Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
View
Advanced settings:
[_] Launch folder windows in a separate process
- -

Regarding item 5 above, I see no trace of that thread in my reader,
(especially no recent activity)
- -

Regarding item 4 above...

For actual directories on a disk drive:
Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
File Folder
Actions:
search (but it is *not* selected as default)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
(Default) REG_SZ none

(Deleting the data in the (Default) value will ensure that there
will not be any default action for that file type.)

For virtual folders (such as My Computer):
Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
Folder
Actions:
explore -and- open (but *neither* is selected as default)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
(Default) REG_SZ none
- -

Regarding item 3 above, what do you mean by "Hate that option!" ?

1. My XP pro has been installed for years. I'm a reasonably sophisticated
user with a programming & support backgound that works for IBM. I've kept my
system neat & tidy. I'm clean of viruses per (AVG) and Spyware per (Add-Aware
& Spybot S&D). This issue began out of nowhere when I booted a few days ago.
The first symtom was that folder option "Show common tasks in folders" was
active when I booted up. I never use that option!
2. Already tried "Launch folder windows in a separate process".
3. The thread you don't see is "Folders Options Problems!" in "Expert Zone
newsgroups" dated 8/14. Did you select Show: "All threads"?
4. "Hate that option" means I'd rather go to the dentist than use it. I'll
deal with multiple windows first which I also hate just slightly less!
5. I don't give up easily but I'm getting close!

Bruce

a nonymous said:
| > | This is getting confusing. So, for anyone interested and willing to help Let
| > | me try to clarify my problem. My WIN XP Pro will not open folders in the same
| > | window.
| > | 1. It is configured to do so per folder options.
| > | 2. I have run "REGSVR32 /i SHELL32" and rebooted before and after step 3
| > | below.
| > | 3. I went to File types/folder/advanced and set "explore" to "default". Hate
| > | that option!
| > | 4. I noticed on a different system that there is no default set for "open"
| > | or "explore". However, there is no way to turn both defaults off, I.E., it is
| > | either "explore" or "open".
| > | 5. There is another thread in this forum named "Folder Options Problems!"
| > | where I submitted further information (export of Registry settings) that was
| > | requested by "Ramesh [MVP] that you can check out.
| > | Thanks, Bruce

| "a nonymous" wrote:
| > 0. and 5. Confusing, yes. Threads must be crossed.
| >
| > Maybe (long shot) - in Internet Options
| > Advanced tab
| > [?] Reuse windows for launching shortcuts

| Thanks but "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" already set.

Assuming that nothing is actually wrong with your XP installation, the only other
setting might be:
Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
View
Advanced settings:
[_] Launch folder windows in a separate process
- -

Regarding item 5 above, I see no trace of that thread in my reader,
(especially no recent activity)
- -

Regarding item 4 above...

For actual directories on a disk drive:
Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
File Folder
Actions:
search (but it is *not* selected as default)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
(Default) REG_SZ none

(Deleting the data in the (Default) value will ensure that there
will not be any default action for that file type.)

For virtual folders (such as My Computer):
Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
Folder
Actions:
explore -and- open (but *neither* is selected as default)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
(Default) REG_SZ none
- -

Regarding item 3 above, what do you mean by "Hate that option!" ?

A-Design

Sorry for the late response,
I just did what Ramesh told for me,and that fixed the problem.
Thanks,