Abarbarian

Acruncher
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
11,023
Reaction score
1,221
I used a walkthrough that Jose had posted on his web pages to help me to install BOINC on a Mandriva install I was running . His helpful guide worked and I posted a thank you ,

On April 29, 2008 10:57:45 am you wrote:
> Thank you very much for your walkthrough . I'm just starting
> out with linux and found your step by step guide easy to follow . It
> took me quite a while , it would have been a lot quicker if I had
> realised that you could COPY and PASTE the command line instructions ,
> but I got there in the end . So once again many thanks . :)

Jose took the time to reply to my thank you and even took the time to give me some extra tips on using linux . Now I think that is really really nice and one of the reasons that I am starting to enjoy using linux as my main os .

To hear that it worked is a real compliment, thanks!

As you are starting-out, you may have already heard or read some of these
suggestions and tips, if not, I hope the extra tips help as well. :)

You might find that the linux version of boinc climbs rapidly in credit if
you run it at 100% with nice turned-on as I've described since it fills in
all the little empty spots of CPU wasted time with boinc work but also
keeping "your" stuff as priority. I don't think boinc on Windows has a
nice feature so you are sort of stuck running only during true idle time
or running 100% but impeding the speed of programs you truly would want to
have priority on (many windows machines appear to have lower credits on
average, so I believe most are running on idle-time only).

If you need to know more about each command-line command, you can look at
the manuals for many of them, use the up/down arrows to go up/down and
press q to quit, for example:
man ls

As a tip, if you are running a desktop machine, you won't need to run a
high MSEC level and if you are learning it sort of creates a bit of a
barrier to your learning as well. on the other hand, if you have
aspirations to later run a server, the MSEC pointers I've mentioned will
help you look for clues you need for locking-up your machine tight yet
keeping it useful. An RPM install would definitely be quicker, but doing
it manually like described allows you to control many aspects such as
running as a boinc user etc, etc, etc. (for the control geeks) :)

As a tip, if you are using BASH (which is the default command-line shell
for Mandriva (think of BASH as Linux's version of Window's DOS
command-line shell)) you may find it useful that if you type the TAB
button, the command-line will attempt to auto-complete the rest of the
command, or possibly the options, for example:
ls is too short to bother doing a TAB, but the option is workable,

ls /e <-do a TAB and it should complete the line as /etc/
then you can continue...
ls /etc/samb <-do a TAB and it should complete to /etc/samba/

I am glad you found it useful. :) :)
Jose

Just remember this guy put all that effort into producing and publishing his guide for FREE and he took the time to answer me also . Now thats the sort of world I want to live in . One where folk try to help each other out .

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
12,673
Reaction score
1,062
Abarbarian said:
Just remember this guy put all that effort into producing and publishing his guide for FREE and he took the time to answer me also . Now thats the sort of world I want to live in . One where folk try to help each other out .

It restores faith in human nature when something like that happens, doesn't it. What a helpful - and curteous - guy :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
25,743
Reaction score
1,207
There are many throughout the Linux community who are more than willing, these days, to help a "new to Linux user" in their endeavor to 'master' the art of Linux.

:thumb: