Linux Terminal Command FUN

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Playing with t he command line may be a tad old hat but can provide a great deal of entertainment even in todays slick electronic age,

For instance if you have "ip6" working on your pc you can get Star Wars running in colour. If not then the black and white version will still entertain, especially if pumped through to your tv.

7jSPcLE.png

https://www.linux.com/blog/fun-linux-terminal-commands

http://smashingtips.com/linux/cool-terminal-commands-for-linux

http://www.binarytides.com/linux-fun-commands/

My favourite is ASCII aquarium which looks fab on a 42" tv.

You can get some of the fun stuff through SYNAPTIC on MX-15. Sadly not my favourite but this fish tank is quite neat.

wFX9T2K.png

Enjoy and if you find more fun and tips do post and spread the word. :cool:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh I remember that star wars telnet from years ago - damn clever!!! :D I wonder how long it took them to put that together. I've not tried the IPv6 version until now though :bow:.

If you've got Windows and want to watch it, you can enable Telnet via "Turn Windows Features On/Off" or just use "Putty" (it's a tiny, free download).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Oh I remember that star wars telnet from years ago - damn clever!!! :D I wonder how long it took them to put that together. I've not tried the IPv6 version until now though :bow:.

If you've got Windows and want to watch it, you can enable Telnet via "Turn Windows Features On/Off" or just use "Putty" (it's a tiny, free download).

Looks like Talk Talk does not do ipv6

Code:
$ telnet ipv6.test-ipv6.com 79
Trying 2001:470:1:18::125...
Trying 2001:470:1:18::119...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable

Code:
$ telnet ipv4.test-ipv6.com 79
Trying 216.218.228.119...
Connected to ipv4.test-ipv6.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
Your public address appears to be 92.0.39.32
Connection closed by foreign host.

I tested also at

http://test-ipv6.com/

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Known about it for a few years but never tried a full run through due to slow tinternet. Might give it a go now. It probably took them lifetimes. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It's the holiday season, and every Linux terminal user deserves a little gift. It doesn't matter whether you celebrate Christmas, another holiday, or nothing at all. So I'm gathering together a collection of 24 Linux command-line toys over the next few weeks for you to enjoy and share with your friends. Let's have a little fun and add a little joy to a month that, at least here in the northern hemisphere, can be a little bit cold and dreary.

https://opensource.com/article/18/12/linux-toy-boxes

XzeRKUG.jpg

I had a play around with the offerings for Day 1 and 2. Stretching out your terminal gives you a longer train ride. Made some changes to the stock "santa" box and sent you all a message. You may have to view the screenshot enlarged to get it though.

Have fun folks.:dance:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had no idea that the boxes function had so many options! You should comment all your code with trains ;).

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I had no idea that the boxes function had so many options! You should comment all your code with trains ;).

The trains are a separate program to boxes. It is activated with "sl" in the terminal. It originated as a bit of fun for folks who miss typed the "ls" command.

This pacman lookalike "myman" is neat and runs very well.

https://opensource.com/article/18/12/linux-toy-myman

:nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites.

... they'll still want their money. :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Top 5 ASCII Games on Linux

ASCII graphics have been admired by most players especially those who prefer large pixels and old-school gaming. Even with the visually impressive games such as the Rise of the Tomb Raider or Forza Horizon 3, there are some classic ASCII games still out there which are more popular. This article is for all those who either already love ASCII games or would like to try these out for a change.

You even get a decent shooter to play in the terminal,

Have you enjoyed the famous first person shooter game, Doom? Although the game is a blast, you might have played it too many times to find it interesting any more. Here is a variant for you based on ASCII characters.

In DoomRL (or Doom, the Roguelike), the player is the single marine that survives in a squad. This squad was sent in response to a distress call from Phobos. Your mission is to investigate the scenario, locate the evil mastermind and end it.

xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
How to Customise and Pimp Your Bash Prompt in Linux

No matter which terminal emulator you’re using, you can change the color scheme to anything that you want.

The more full-featured terminal emulators usually have a “Settings” menu that allows you to make some minor color adjustments, but they aren’t nearly as good as some of the color schemes out there.

The command prompt is the bit of text that greets you every time you open up a terminal emulator. It usually gives you your username, the name of your computer, and maybe the directory that you’re in, but you can customize it, too.

The prompt is stored in a variable called PS1. You don’t have to worry too much about the technical side of it, but you should know that you can change the value of PS1.

There’s a file in your home directory called .bashrc. That file controls the things that the Linux shell will run every time you start a terminal emulator. If you set the value of PS1 in this file, it will apply every time you open a terminal.

As an Arch user I open up a terminal pretty often so I like to customise its appearance. I have been too busy of late to pretty up my terminal but the above article caught my eye and led me to this site,

http://bashrcgenerator.com/

Where in less than ten minutes I had jazzed up my command prompt. I made the prompt blue for when I am using the terminal as a normal user and red for danger when I am using it as root.

XJe9FIj.png

:cool:

Ask a Question