:D

Attachments

• EU.JPG
    EU.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 392

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
the world is full of bureaucracy, and bureaucrats, something we''ll never be free of ... Scotland needs to take a wee note of that. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Snopes, as ever, tells the truth.

Some folks just want to believe everything is bad.

And I've never been able to understand that.

A program named 'Zoowatch' or something should observe homo sapiens at a bus stop. After ten minutes, if bus no come, human beanz will start to talk. All their talk will be of a negative nature and they will, oddly, take comfort from this.

Why is this so?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
OK, OK let's all be very positive about EU regulations. :)

I admit that I made an error on the cabbage figures.

The truth is that there are nowhere near 26,911 words regulating cabbages. In fact, it's a mere 1,990.

Along with 2,950 for cauliflowers and artichokes, 2,675 for asparagus, 1,972 for aubergines, 2,004 for beans, 3,980 for sprouts, celery and spinach, 2,260 for chicory, 1,925 for courgettes, 2,031 for cucumbers, 2,281 for mushrooms, 2,190 for garlic, 1,928 for leeks, 2,138 for lettuces, 2,235 for onions, 1,927 for peas, and 2,298 for sweet peppers ...

... not counting amendments.

So, the original figures at the beginning of this post should have been

· Pythagoras’ Theory – 24 words
· Lords’ Prayer – 66 words
· Archimedes Principle – 67 words
· Ten Commandments - 179 words
· Gettysburg Address – 267 words
· US Declaration of Independence – 1,321 words
· Magna Carta (including signatures) – 3,856 words
· EU regulations on sale and trade of vegetables – more than 36,784 words.

So, with great positivity let's all celebrate these great regulations which keep all citizens of the EU so ecstatically happy.

;)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Um... I wonder why/how come — just like things like gun control or abortion in "American debate culture" — the EU is a "hot button issue" in Europe? You know; the middle of the road is for yellow lines and dead armadillos?

HINT: cui bono?

The answer to that question has varied along the years, but these days... I can't help but wonder about the lovin' feelings that seem to exist between Kremlin and the leaders of most if not all of the (anti EU, many cases anti US/NATO) nationalistic parties in Europe (Farage, LePen, Orban...)

Interesting times... sigh.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Found two definitions of Cui Bono.
1: a principle that probable responsibility for an act or event lies with one having something to gain
2: usefulness or utility as a principle in estimating the value of an act or policy

Using the first definition I’m not sure how the EU beaurocrats have anything to gain from putting forward regulations about vegetables except perhaps as a justification for their very positions as Incredibly well paid jobsworths at the EU. If they didn’t regularly turn out this sort of tripe then they may not have a job.

Also, I don’t think that commenting on EU/ government/ local council statistics and policies is a negative thing at all. If no-one commented on these things nothing would ever change and as far as I’m concerned democracy is the ability to change things that the public don’t like/ think is ridiculous etc. if enough of them think the same way.

No, I think that commenting on issues like these is a very positive thing and, anyway, I think EU regulations are simply devised to keep EU citizens amused. :D

Reaction score
14hrs time & the United Kingdom may be dead.
Lets hope Scotland gets to join the EU?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My main point in posting was to show my bemusement at some folks' love of moaning.

I'm no great fan of the Common Market, er, EU, I wish we'd pull out, the recent fiasco about limiting the power of vacum cleaners for sale was to my mind a much better example of their stupidity/bureacracy/nazi-like dictating than how many words it took to issue guidelines on cabbages.

Does it really matter how many words it takes to form a guideline? And why compare the number of words with something as banal as the lords prayer? The ten commandments? And all those other American examples.

Snopes offers proof the whole thing is a lie that refuses to go away and, as I said, it's just appealing to cynical people.

No, I know everything isn't rosy within the world but this constant moaning and cynicism does depress me sometimes.

Cabbages eh? I remember some kid's TV program called Crackerjack where they played a game called 'Double or drop' and one of the items contestants had to hold on to was.... cabbages. I wonder how many words the rules had for holding cabbages? ;)

Hey, look, don't mind me, I'm just a grumpy old git, carry on, it's all fun and games until somebody loses an.......

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, I got better things to do than worry about the bureaucrats next instalments ... can I get to lvl 100 and still have quest left over, or am I gonna have to hunt around for filler repeats.

it's hard being a hobbit. :)

Reaction score
I do not wish to belong to an undemocratic, corrupt organisation, that has never been independently audited. :mad:

Ask a Question