Windows XP Oldest software application

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
We had a thread for the oldest hardware we had, but how about the oldest bit of software we still use? :)

I think my oldest has to be Transport Tycoon from 1994... I think of it as old, but 11 years? :eek: I still don't think of Windows 95 as all that long ago!

Reaction score
trust AMI [mouse] disc 1996 still in use, I would be lost without it, would have to use my cat!

:D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think its total annihilation, about christmas 97 when i got it and still play it when i have a few hours spare, cant think of anything else but there is probably something

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Probably Grabbit V2.5. At one time a freeware screen grab thingie, then it was sold, then it disappeared.

Got it off C-Net around '96, still use it to this day, almost everyday. Great for 'grabbing' sections of screen display.

Got some old games on Win 98 as well, oldest of which are probably Doom II & Quake.

Word Perfect anybody? ;)

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Hmmm...I think the very oldest is the first Monkey Island, but heaven knows what else I've got stashed away here! I'm sure I've a copies of Eye of the Beholder, and Flight of the Amazon Queen!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Flight of the Amazon Queen!!! That was great :D I remember playing that from a CD Rom in a 486... I was amazed :)

Reaction score
oooh, i did play tranpsort tycoon (the classic version) not long ago although i recently found scorched earth again and am playing that (suprised it works on XP) not sure what date that is from but i think it predates transport tycoon. an even older game a played a year or more ago was alley cat, i think that may even pre date windows

the classic games always are the best, most people will say they love the original quake, doom and duke nukem 3D, i also like hexen but have been able to find it recently

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh 'eck, I just used DOS 6.2 & Win 3.11 two months ago ... :blush:

And the old couple were as chuffed as beans with their "word processor" ... he is dictating his War memories to the Wife ... and can she type. :thumb:

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember upgrading to DOS 6.22, thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread ;)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I remember upgrading to DOS 6.22, thinking it was the best thing since sliced bread ;)
I go back as far as Tanden DOS v5.0 which was still running on a dual-boot UNIX server until about 2 years ago.

I guess that must have been installed in about 1991?

Hey Mucks, if you get fed up with you LINUX exploits, I think I have still got the disks here somewhere - free to a good home!

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Flight of the Amazon Queen!!! That was great :D I remember playing that from a CD Rom in a 486... I was amazed :)

CD Rom?! You need the good old floppy version ;)

Which I cant play on this new machine :(

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Chris Pickering said:
CD Rom?! You need the good old floppy version ;)

Which I cant play on this new machine :(
What happened to the really old stuff that you had to load from an AUDIO TAPE!

If there is anyone under the age of 21 reading this, no I haven't lost my marbles, yet! :p They really did used to use audio tapes to store programs and data! Ask Mucks or Floppy, I'm sure they remember?

Ah, those were the days .......

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
CITech said:
What happened to the really old stuff that you had to load from an AUDIO TAPE!

If there is anyone under the age of 21 reading this, no I haven't lost my marbles, yet! :p They really did used to use audio tapes to store programs and data! Ask Mucks or Floppy, I'm sure they remember?

Ah, those were the days .......

I'm a mre 21, and I most certainly remember booting up all my favourite C64 games with audio tapes :)

Right tha's it, I'm going to buy back a piece of my childhood :p

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Chris Pickering said:
I'm a mre 21, and I most certainly remember booting up all my favourite C64 games with audio tapes :)

Right tha's it, I'm going to buy back a piece of my childhood :p
Those were the days hey Chris, spending all weekend trying to copy code from a magazine, running it once, and then wondering why you have just wasted two long days, getting square eyes, to watch an exclamation mark run across the screen!

Memories ......

Reaction score
From my side, i'm using VMware workstation, and Microsoft Virtual Machine with DOS, win95, and win98 installed.
No Problema!!!

Ask a Question