Old Server can stil Ping

I have a server I recently changed its name form oldserver to newserver.
This server runs a sql 2000 db as well. I followed the procedure to complete
the name change in sql as well. Its been a few days since the name change.
I can still ping the old server name. How can this be? Why would the server
still be pinged even though the computer name does not exists in AD. I run
a Windows 2000 Domain. This server is a Windows 2003 member server. I don't
see it in DNS but I do see it in WINS. It has an expiration date of tomarrow
at 11:00 pm. IS there any way to force this out of my network. I don't want
anyone to be able to reference the server by the new name which you currently
can do. It will cause problems because this server is running Sharepoint
team services web site.

Kenxl Zou

Hello ,

Thank you for posting.

From your post, my understanding on this issue is: You have found that you
can still ping the server name that had been changed already. You want to
know how to resolve this. If I'm off base, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my reseach, you may follow the steps below to troubleshoot this
problem:

1. Delete the WINS record related to the old server name
2. On the client computer where you initialize the ping, type "ipconfig
/flushdns" in the command
3. Try ping the old server name in FQDN format to see if it still can be
reached.
4. On the Windows 2003 member server check the NetBIOS name:
Right click on my "computer", select "Properties"
Select "Computer Name" tab, click "change"
In "Computer Name Changes" window, click "more", to see if the "NetBIOS
computer name" has been changed to the new name.

After you finish all the steps, please check the problem again.

Please let me know the result. I am looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Kenxl Zou
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

From: "Phillip Windell" <@.>
Subject: Re: Old Server can stil Ping
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:09:48 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking

Delete it out of WINS. Delete it,..don't just Tombstone it.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com