Office 97 & Vista

Reaction score
Can you run MS Office 97 on a PC running Vista?
My sister wants her old Office 97 installed on her new laptop instead of a more modern edition of Office.

Cheers in advance.

Reaction score
feckit said:
Can you run MS Office 97 on a PC running Vista?
My sister wants her old Office 97 installed on her new laptop instead of a more modern edition of Office.

Cheers in advance.

MS stopped supporting Office '97 in 2002, so you are probably just opening your Vista machine to trouble. If budget is a problem then why not go for Open office ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I very much doubt it. I'd guess Office 2003 would be the newest Vista will handle, which is what I'm using with Vista.

And once 2003 becomes incompatible with whatever Windows foists upon us, I'm using Open Office. Seriously.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
feckit said:
Think it's Open Office time.:thumb:
MS Office has trouble working with MS Office ... in whatever incarnation you care to name.

OOo has a repetitive track record of doing what MS Office has 'problems' in doing ... it really doesn't seem to care what version of Office it is talking to.

I have one reservation, OOo can be a little buggy at times and prone to crashing. YMMV. ;)

There is a not-so-new-kid on the block, who has a new-ish product out ... those Corel people have a new build called Corel Home Office quite cheap for a paid-for Office counterpart. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
I have a friend who claims to have office 95 installed on their Vista! I have yet to see it ;) . Personally, I would use Open Office.

Joe

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've never had problems with Open Office within Linux but maybe that's different to OO within Windows.

I have a very strong nag of a memory coming at me that Office '97 wouldn't install in XP let alone Vista but this cannot be so, can it? I definitely seem to recall it though. I think Office '97 only worked up to ME & 2000.

Are Corel still going then?

Poor old Corel, they always made superb software and always seemed to lose out to Microsoft, Adobe and the like.

Dirty tricks dept? Or just plain market forces?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There is always the free multi platform fast and light AbiWord.

http://www.abisource.com/download/

Then when you make the switch to linux you can keep on using it.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Hi
Following on from all the helpful replies - you can run Access 97 on Vista - I have done so. However - and there is always a BUT it is MS after all, you will probably have problems with permissions. It often will not allow you to access a data file claiming you do not have permission to do so. Having said that with a little jiggery pokery you can usually overcome the problem.

It is however probably more sensible to look at Open Office as a more up to date alternative.

Hope that helps

Ask a Question