guest account and attempt to use an Office program it
goes through an installation procedure with several Error
1706 codes along the way. I hit OK on each and it
eventually runs. This happens every time an Office
program is started on the Guest account. Can anyone
help???

G

If you are using XP Pro and Office 2

I had the same problem with my set up, It appears to be a problem with the Office updates
If you install the updates BEFORE you go to each account and open the program you WILL get the 1706 error

Proceed with install in this manner and you wont get the error
Install Office 2K as Adminstrator. Including Outlook. Let the programs load then close them
If you are not using Adminstrator account for personal use, Fill in the info the Outlook wizard asks for using bogus info. (noone @nowhere.com, pop3.nowhere.com, smtp.nowhere.com
If you are using the Administrator account, fill in your correct E-mail account info
Let the wizard launch outlook, when you see the Outlook welcome message in your inbox go ahead and close Outlook. You are done with adminstrator account for now
Now got into each limited account, opening at least 1 Office program
There will be a pop up window asking for the initials of the user for that account. they should be in the box already. Just click ok
Once the initial box dialogue is done the programs should open as normal office programs
Now set up the E-mails for the various limited accounts
After all accounts are done, Log ina as Administrator and go to the Office update web site and start updating your Office programs

It worked for me
Aardi

Ask a Question