Windows XP Oembios.bin

Reaction score
Dear All

I have stupidly agreed to look at a friends computer.
It seemed that he had corupted his HD, and so on.

Therefore to be safe we bought a new HD, and started to install XP sp2.

ON install I encountered the message that the OEMBIOS.bin file could not be installed.

I relucantly skipped and the installed finished fine.
ON logging onto XP I could not gain access due to anothe message
"a problem is preventing windows from accuratley chcecking the license for this computer"

I can access safe mode fine.
But am at a loss on how to solve this one!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Many thanks

Dee

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It looks like your are using a SLP BIOS locked OEM version of XP.

This looks in a specific memory location in the BIOS for a matching manufacturer string ... if it doesn't find it, it knows you're trying to install it on a machine different that the one it shipped with.

It can only be installed on the machine it shipped with per microsoft's OEM licensing agreements.

More information is needed on what the computer is, and, who's XP CD are you using.

:user:

Reaction score
Ah I see.

The xp disc is mine, which I had bought as back up. But never used.

The computer is a Hewlett packard, basic spec.

Can I not change the bios? or install a new one? or are these very difficult ideas?

Or is there an easy route around this problem?

Many Thanks

Dee

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, you won't be able to alter the BIOS in the way you think on that motherboard ... what you need is the original "restore" disks that came with the Hewlett Crapard PC

Now, there is/may be a problem with that ... every PC manufacturer, and I mean every bloody one of them, (self built excluded) has a hidden partition on the HD ... stupid idea, but hey, they save money, you may need that too. :rolleyes:

Upgradeable & compatibility are not in the vocabulary of most PC manufacturers. Sorry.

:user:

Reaction score
Oh bugga!

So the hidden partition is where the retore details are kept, and the HD has been wiped.
There was no restore disks with the computer, and it seems the owner did never make one.

So would I be correct in saying either he needs to tear his house apart and find the original xp disc that came with the commputer, or, he needs a new motherboard?

I suspose this will then pose compatability problems with the current harware?

Im glad I built mine!

Ask a Question