Windows XP OEM Disc

Reaction score
My PC (eMachines 620) was slow so I tried to use the restore discs to start it again from scratch and they did not work so I have tried an OEM disc from a Fujitsu Siemens computer. Both have different Product Key's but they have the same Product ID. I have not got any futher as I did not kno whether there would be any issues registering Windows XP or activating it. Please could someone advised me on what to do.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You should be ok providing the OEM disk was a full version of XP and not a restore disk and if you used your original product key.

If you used the product key from the OEM disk you probably won't be able to register XP so if that's the case do a fresh install.

And also that both discs are the same with regards to XP Home or XP Pro.

Reaction score
I am in a similar predicament to nigel83 in that I need to repair Windows on a machine with no recovery disk. It is a P4 Ei machine which has some corruption caused I believe by reloading a Lexmark printer driver without uninstalling the previous driver. All sorts of error messages including spooler errors. I have an OEM disk for another machine but can't remember if there is a repair option as the first message refers to installing Windows; not an option to repair/install. I must not wipe the drive so is it safe to continue? The 25 part product key is on the sticker on the side of the computer.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Use any "real" XP CD, but make sure you use your Key ... make sure also you use XP home for home & Pro for Pro.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for the info..when I boot from the OEM disk, I get a message to input the Administrator Password. Is there a set password? I (or the person I am trying to help) have never set one.

Reaction score
Problem solved at last! The OEM disk did the trick and all is well; ta muchly for the excellent help

Ask a Question