Odd Even Section Breaks

G

Is there anyway to extend section formatting to the blank pages Word automatically inserts to align odd- or even-page section breaks to the appropriate page (for example: Section 1 goes to Page 3 - Section 2 is defined as Odd Page Section Break - Word auto inserts a blank page and counts it as Page 4 - Section 2 starts on Page 5).

Ideally, the solution is a setting somewhere that I've yet to locate...I hope....

Thank you,

Larry Price

G

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by "extending formatting to blank pages". Personally, I hate section breaks by odd-even pages. I never use them. I use "Section Break - next page" for both my top and bottom breaks. That way, you'll never get these funny blank page additions. Whoever came up with odd-even break is beyond me, and I still have to figure the logic behind it!

G

By extending formatting, I mean including headers and footers, and in particular, page numbers. It appears the page layout is successfully extended to the blank page additions, although none of the other settings seem to make it.

Odd-even breaks are useful for documents where you would like the first page of the section to be the "top" facing page, particularly if you are going to break the document up by tabs. Another way to look at it is chapters in a book which always start on the top or front of the page.

Personally, I agree with you. I have been fighting this limitation since Word 6 and have, like you, resorted to next page Section Breaks. Or, horrors, manually adding page breaks to force the next section to the odd page while maintaining the header, footer and page number info on the resulting blank page. For procedures and RFPS, it is beneficial to specifically identify "intentionally blank pages."

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

If I understand correctly what you want, see
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/InsEvnPgEndChap.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Larry said:
Is there anyway to extend section formatting to the blank pages Word
automatically inserts to align odd- or even-page section breaks to the
appropriate page (for example: Section 1 goes to Page 3 - Section 2 is
defined as Odd Page Section Break - Word auto inserts a blank page and
counts it as Page 4 - Section 2 starts on Page 5).

B

Bob S

It is a nice trick. However, one part of this page seems very strange.
John says

"Note: This solution works "despite" the presence or absence of
section breaks. If you use an "Odd Page" section break, the NEXT page
after it will be a right-hand page. In which case, you need to REMOVE
the Page Break from this field and place the field BEFORE the section
break. The left page will then contain the "This page is
intentionally blank" and the next page will start your new chapter.
Or you may decide to use no section break, in which case, leave the
page break within the field: it will produce a page throw if it needs
one."

If you remove the hard page break from the field, it doesn't work
correctly when I test it. It puts the "intentionally blank" text on
the odd page (unless the odd page happens to be almost full). I think
that you need the hard page break whether you have an odd page section
break or not.

Do you get different results?

Bob S

Ask a Question