odbcbak - What is this??

T

Todd K

I'm working on a laptop with Windows XP that has a process named "odbcbak" hogging about 50% of the resources. Every time I end the process in task manager, the process starts back up.

The laptop was a mess when I received it. It belongs to a college student (bosses daughter) and she had Kazaa, Limewire and a bunch of other file sharing software on it. I removed as many programs as possible, ran Norton and AVG anti-virus, Spybot, AdAware and removed every virus, trojan and spyware I could find.

However, this "odbcbak" remains. I've searched newsgroups and the web and can find nothing on it. I even went to Symantec, Grisoft and McAfee to see if they had anything posted. Does anyone have a clue as to what this is or how to get rid of it, short of formatting and reinstalling Windows XP.

Thanks!!
Todd K

B

Br0wnbear

I'm working on a laptop with Windows XP that has a process named "odbcbak" hogging about 50% of the resources. Every time I end the process in task manager, the process starts back up.

The laptop was a mess when I received it. It belongs to a college student (bosses daughter) and she had Kazaa, Limewire and a bunch of other file sharing software on it. I removed as many programs as possible, ran Norton and AVG anti-virus, Spybot, AdAware and removed every virus, trojan and spyware I could find.

However, this "odbcbak" remains. I've searched newsgroups and the web and can find nothing on it. I even went to Symantec, Grisoft and McAfee to see if they had anything posted. Does anyone have a clue as to what this is or how to get rid of it, short of formatting and reinstalling Windows XP.

Thanks!!
Todd K

Todd

There is probably a registry key in the run statements that is running
this.
You can probably see it through MSConfig. Start -> Run -> MSConfig ->
Startup Tab. Turn it off.

To get rid of it try the following
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

Follow the instructions thoroughly.

hth
John Brown
Bears are hibern8n but we wake up to help once in awhile.

B

Br0wnbear

Thanks!!
Todd K

Todd

From what I found in a google trace. The file could be in
C:\Windows\Fonts\obdcbak.exe

Submit it for analysis here
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

hth
John Brown

T

Todd K

Thanks for the responses.

It's fixed now. It was a hidden file so Windows searches brought back no results. There were several entries in the registry, but every time we deleted them, they came back on next bootup. My systems tech eventually fixed it by doing something in Safe mode with the DOS prompt. I'll have to talk to him to find out what "exactly" he did, in case anyone else has this issue.

When I gave up on it, he spend 3 days trying to fix this thing. It was a tough one, BUT he didn't have to reinstall or repair Windows so his solution worked.

Todd K

Thanks!!
Todd K

Todd

From what I found in a google trace. The file could be in
C:\Windows\Fonts\obdcbak.exe

Submit it for analysis here
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html

hth
John Brown

Ask a Question