ODBC

LiquidJ

How are you making this DSN? Code? Installation program? If code, then
please post a snippet of it which exhibits the problem you're seeing.

What kind of database is it pointing to? SQL Server? Access? Oracle?

And by "ODBC admin", do you mean the ODBC Data Source Administrator applet?

{L}

Gary Winzeler

Yes the Data Source Administrator applet thru the control
panel/admin tools.
The database works fine with a user DSN and I can see
everything in the user screen but the problem is the
SYSTEM DSN. It happens with any kind of data base or
driver. I just can't make a system DSN.

Richard MacKinnon

Please state clearly what you are experiencing

You can't create a system DSN ?
Or you have an app that can't access a system DSN ?

The only difference I can think of between user and system DSN is that they
are stored in different spots in the registry
Maybe the problem has to do with accessing the registry, if so then using
RegMon might help track down the problem or maybe there is an error message
in the event log ?

LiquidJ

But you haven't answered my question relating to -=how=- you're creating
system DSNs (applet, code, registry hack, etc.). If code or registry hack,
please post sample code or steps.

Are you getting any error messages when you try to create a system DSN?

Are you logged on as an administrator-level account?

Now that I think about it, I've encountered something like this before. The
problem was that the administrator no longer had priviledges to changes
values in the registry under the HKLM\Software\ODBC key. The solution was
to change the permissions using regedt32 (not regedit).

{L}

Gary Winzeler

using applet
when I create the DSN I just get an error that it exist
and if I want to replace it - I say yes
yes, logged on as administrator
when I try to connect using the DSN I get an error as
follows:
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle
on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

Gary Winzeler

Do you know where the system DSN are in the registry?
I am using win 2000 and I couldn't find RegMon?
I go to the Control Panel - Admin tools and then data
sources (ODBC)
I try to create a system DSN but it does not appear after
I create it. If i try again it give me a message that it
exist do I want to replace I say YES - Still does not
appear.

I go to my database application and They show up there but
I get an error when I try to connect
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle
on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed

Any help??

LiquidJ

Well, the only thing that comes to mind is to double check and see if that
DSN exists in the registry, and to ensure that the permissions are set
correctly on the key I mentioned before.

{L}

Gary Winzeler said:
[...]

.

Richard MacKinnon

Sorry RegMon is downloadable from www.sysinternals.com
There are a lot of great tools there

You should find system DSNs here

HKLM\Software\ODBC\ODBC.ini

Run regmon while you create a system dsn and see if there are any noticeable
errors
You'll want to filter on rundll32.exe which is used to run the odbc
administrator applet

If it is a permissions problem you can set permisions on this key using
regedt32.exe
On one occasion I saw a key name corrupted with an unprintable character,
not likely your problem but just wanted to mention it...

Gary Winzeler said:
[...]

THANK YOU
The RegMon worked great I found all the system DSN deleted
them and now I can see what I create I am stll getting an
error when I try to connect to the DSN
[...]

wrote in message
When I make an ODBC System DSN It is not visable
in
the
ODBC admin...
Why?

.

.

.

LiquidJ

Great, now can you show a code snippet which reproduces this problem for
you?

{L}

[...]

wrote in message
When I make an ODBC System DSN It is not visable in
the
ODBC admin...
Why?

.

.

.

Gary Winzeler

All is now well,
reinstalled my driver and now I can connect