O2 Broadband

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at moving to O2 broadband, I know that a few people on here use it and wanted to know what they think of it? Is O2's unlimited downloads completely unlimited? I've looked on their sit and checked my phone number it says that it can support 6mb but at the moment I'm getting 15mb with another ISP. Would it be worth phoning O2 and asking them about the speed that they could provide on my line?

Many thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with o2 broadband and I'm more than happy with them :). They do offer "unlimited" downloads - but in reality that is just a very high limit. As far as I know they will soon have to specify what this download limit it. I'd call myself a reasonably high bandwidth user and I've not had any problems.

I have a feeling that if you call o2 they will just tell you the same number that the website states, as it's automated. But there's no harm in calling as they may be able to do a line test :).

They have the thumbs up from me :thumb: .

Reaction score
Really cheap if you have a o2 mobile aswell apparently?
I do but prefer VM tbh

completely unlimited bandwidth usage and constant 10Mb (1200KBs) speeds

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, it's £5 cheaper per month for o2 broadband IIRC. I pay £7.50/month :thumb:

Virgin Media isn't available in my area, but if it was I'd consider that one too.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

I am looking at moving to O2 broadband, I know that a few people on here use it and wanted to know what they think of it? Is O2's unlimited downloads completely unlimited? I've looked on their sit and checked my phone number it says that it can support 6mb but at the moment I'm getting 15mb with another ISP. Would it be worth phoning O2 and asking them about the speed that they could provide on my line?

Many thanks
Post your line stats, ill tell you what you can get. Your current ISP is?

I'm with Be (Same company) they are very good, they do differ slightly, IIRC 02 dont let you use Fast path, Is that sill correct Ian?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
IIRC 02 dont let you use Fast path, Is that sill correct Ian?

Yep, as far as I know that's still the case :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd move to 02 like a shot (or BE) but they can't supply the service in my neighbourhood.

As for Virgin, that is now available here but after reading many horror stories about their service, notably the throttling of download speeds, I don't think I'd sign up with them. I do use Virgin's mobile phone service by way of mentioning and no probs there.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Virgin is good if your a) not in an oversubscribed area or b) on the 50mb service as its a different backend network to the20mb and lower options. :)

I'm seriously considering VM's 50mb service...... :D

Reaction score
V_R said:
Post your line stats, ill tell you what you can get. Your current ISP is?

I'm with Be (Same company) they are very good, they do differ slightly, IIRC 02 dont let you use Fast path, Is that sill correct Ian?

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies,

V_R

Line stats are below. Current ISP BT.

ADSL line status

Connection Information

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 11:49:52
Downstream 14,874 Kbps
Upstream 1,185 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 12.9 dB / 5.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.1 dB / 10.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 23.4 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 624 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 111 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up) 1847 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 81 / 0

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice stats. :)

Should get the same, probably better with Be/02. Your SNR is a little high which is dropping your sync a little. (6db = default) If it was 6db i'd guess your in for about 16 - 17mb/s? At a guess.

Dont forget your SNR always drops in the evening. ;)

Reaction score
V_R said:
Nice stats. :)

Should get the same, probably better with Be/02. Your SNR is a little high which is dropping your sync a little. (6db = default) If it was 6db i'd guess your in for about 16 - 17mb/s? At a guess.

Dont forget your SNR always drops in the evening. ;)

Hi V_R,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The connection at the moment drops almost each day. The Noise Margin was 6db a few weeks ago before all the disconnections started to happen. At the moment the noise margin stays around 11.7db in the evenings.

BT have now requested a lift and shift to be done at the local exchange as they said it could be faulty equipment however the request for this seems to have been cancelled off their system and are now finding out why this happened.

Speeds are also all over the place at the moment the other day I got just under 5mb at 9am in the morning. And then a few hours later 10mb.

Are your speeds consistent with O2?

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds like you have an issue with the line. and it sounds like as per the norm that BT are being their usual **** poor self....

Download and run Router stats... Keep an eye on it and see if there is a pattern. (if it runs on your router( Is it a BT Home Hub POS?

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

BT are the main reason i'm seriously considering the move to Virgin's 50mb service... Dont get me started on them, suffice to say it took 5 visites from "engineers" to get my last fault fixed, which turned out to be a fault on the pole after the first four monkeys told me its inside and that i'd have to pay the £130 fee for callout/fixing it as its inside the property.

Anyway, lift and shift? Good luck, it must be a long and arduous fault you have :p

Regarding the speeds, Well its BT innit!! lolol They are well known for throttling and capping your rate. ;)

Be for me have been spot on, always good speeds, great pings. Any issues i've had are from the crap BT lline/equipment. :)

Reaction score
Okay an update on the Broadband issue with BT, the case has been escalated to their High Level Complaints for broadband problems. Yesterday at BT's request an broadband engineer arrived to look at the connection he did the normal tests and said that the line was very healthy and balanced out. He said as I've tried using the test socket for the past 2 weeks with no improvement and tried different hubs, the only thing it could be now is a faulty port in the exchange. He said that he would make a note of this in the fault report and request that this is done. I spoke to BT who said that they have arranged for an engineer to visit my local exchange to carry out a Lift and Shift for Today.

Today another BT engineer came and tested everything again and said that everything seemed fine, but his equipment would only allow him to get 8mb speeds so could not test the connection fully at the highest speeds. He said its unlikely yo be a fault at the exchange and he thought that a Lift and Shift would not fix the issue. I contacted BT yet again regarding this and they said that they will its not necessary to carry out a Lift and Shift now based on the engineer who visited the exchange this morning saying that he did not wont to carry this out as he thought it would fix the problem. BT have now said that they want more time to look into this further and are awaiting a report from BT wholesale regarding this matter and expect to get this tomorrow.

The engineer that came yesterday said if they refuse to do this then the only other option I have left is to move to another ISP and that would meant that they would then have to change the ports / line card in the exchange.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Many thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If your moving or thinking of moving, you could try AAISP...

http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html

They sell Be connections up to 24mb's

We'll fix your line even if you are with another ISP!

If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't then you can migrate away and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month. Details.

Reaction score
V_R said:
If your moving or thinking of moving, you could try AAISP...

http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband.html

They sell Be connections up to 24mb's

Thanks V_R that looks really good. Its clear to me know that BT have lost interest in fixing the issue. Can BT still hold me to the contract if they cant provide a fit for purpose service?

Can you have a look at the attached image of Router Stats and see if its working okay?

Can I turn the computer off and will it keep the results from where it was before?

Attachments

• Router Stats 2.png
    Router Stats 2.png
    166 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
AAISP are rated very highly, and are still one of the lesser known ISP's out there.

BT, well you just have to keep going on and on and on and.....well you get the idea. :D

RE Router stats. Ummmm, it needs to be connected to the router to log! Yours isn't lol.

You may need the Lite version at the bottom of the page, again i'm not 100% sure that the hub is supported tbh. only one way to find out. :)

Another one is DMT, but again it depends on if its comparable with the hub or not.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

Did i mention i hate the Home Hub too? :p

Reaction score
Hi V_R,

Thanks for your reply.

I've just tried both programmes and none of them seem to work with the V2 Hub.

Do you know of any more programmes I can try?

Thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ill have a look around bud. Dont hold ye breath though!

Ask a Question