nvidesm1 IDE controller driver error

John A

I have a:
Shuttle AN35N Ultra
AMD XP 2500 clocked to a 3200, Vcore 1.7V
120G MAXTOR 8M ATA133 Primary Master
200G WD 8M ATA100 Primary Slave
Sony DVD RW 510A Secondary Master

I was using the latest NVidea IDE controller driver, , nvidesm, contained in
the NVIDEA driver package from the Shuttle website. After adding the 200G WD
drive listed above, my boot time significantly increased. Looking at the
system logs showed two timeout error messages referencing device
\Device\Scsi\mvidesm1 and multiple warnings about Paging Errors on the
\Device\Harddisk0\D. Everthing after booting seemed to work properly. I did
various checks on the hardisks and no problems were found. I reverted back
to the windows IDE driver for the IDE controllers and my timeouts during
bootup went away. Has anyone else experienced problems with the nvidea IDE
controller drivers?

Jay Cousins

John A said:
[...]

What version of windows are you using? If it is 2k or XP make sure
that the IDE drivers are on the HCL.

Jay

John A

Jay Cousins said:
"John A" <[email protected]> wrote in message

What version of windows are you using? If it is 2k or XP make sure
that the IDE drivers are on the HCL.

Jay

Sorry, I forgot to mention the operation system. Windows XP Pro. And no, the
nvidesm driver is not on the offical HCL. When I originally went through the
install of the driver (located in a subdirectory named XP), NVIDEA had some
messages on the screen saying how this driver "should" improve hard drive
performance by taking advantage of the chipset and "should" not cause
problems in XP. After these messages, a warning message from XP popped up
stating that this driver has not passed the compatibility testing. When I
had only one hard drive in the system, the driver appeared to work fine.
After adding the slave drive, the long delay at boot time along with the
errors in the system event log began occurring. I am now using the standard
Windows XP IDE driver and its working fine so I will just stay with that.