NTLDR missing. Do not have bootable cd.

Reaction score
I tried to transfer some photo's onto son's pc and failed. Turned pc off and the next time it was put on it kept crashing each time it reached loading xp.
With my very limited knowledge I fiddled around trying safe mode etc., each bit of BIOS then the recovery floppy but that doesn't seem to work. After all of that it would not load but now shows the message NTLDR is missing.
I have also taken the side panel off, cleaned and checked all of the connections.

The pc is a Packard Bell i extreme with Windows XP home Edition Service pack 2 with AVG anti virus.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated as my 16 yr old is trying to nick the laptop for Warcraft lol!

Thanks.

Reaction score
HI and welcome to the forum...
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Do you have the OEM XP disk..? Try doing repair install on the machine..This will repair any OS files that might be damaged..
If you don't have the disk, go here and downlaod a bootdisk for XP and run this, your problem should then be solved...

Link

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the welcome and reply.

I don't have the disk and have just looked at the site you suggested, seems a good idea. But would you happen to know if I can download onto a laptop which runs Vesta as it doesn't mention anything on the help bit. If not I shall order a cd.
Sorry to be a pain but am totally useless at this stuff.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hi,
If you have a floppy drive, you just copy NTLDR and ntdetect.com from the root drive c: of another PC with XP on it
onto a floppy disc. Now you just need to set your system to boot from the A: drive, then boot up using the floppy disc.
This will allow you to boot into Windows. However when you are in windows you must copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
files from the floppy drive to your root drive c: so that they are there the next time you boot up without the floppy disc.
Note: The files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM are normally hidden files on the c: drive, so you must go to to the folder options
on the menu bar of the windows explorer, with the c: drive selected and from the options deselect the options that hide these files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi
Many thanks for your help. But, in desperation took it to PC World (that's desperate) and as expected they told me I need a new PC as mine could not be fixed!! But, as I had bought this pc from them having been told my previous pc was not repairable and then finding out it could easily be repaired I decided to try pot luck and pick out one in the telephone book who had a look and found it very baffling that I had totally wiped the hard drive, he then looked at my recovery disk and said it the wrong one! it was for Windows 98 A new hard drive has now been fitted and is working ok. Annoying to have lost the data on old hard drive but my own fault as didn't back up as often as I should have.
Thank you.

Ask a Question