NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE

G

I use win 2000 sp4. I kep geting the message

"This shutdown process was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE
terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system
will shut down and restart."
My pc shuts down and i cannot stop it.

Anyone that knows how to solve this problem, please contact

cherry

S

Steve Parry [MVP]

michalis said:
I use win 2000 sp4. I kep geting the message

"This shutdown process was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE
terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system
will shut down and restart."
My pc shuts down and i cannot stop it.

Anyone that knows how to solve this problem, please contact

cherry

Blaster infection

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx

G

Thanks for your reply but my PC is not infected by the blaster worm. The
message i get does not say that RPC terminated unexpectedly, but that The
system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE
terminated unexpectedly with status code 128.

Any other recccomendation?

G

Unfortunately, this did not work either. It seems that all the PCs in the LAN
running win 2000 receive the same message simultaneously. Any other ideas?

S

Steve Parry [MVP]

michalis said:
Unfortunately, this did not work either. It seems that all the PCs in
the LAN
running win 2000 receive the same message simultaneously. Any other
ideas?

Try starting your PC in safe mode and check in services to see if you
have a service called Rewt, if so disable it.

Whilst in Safe Mode try running the latest Stinger over your system

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

With you saying all your machines have this issue it makes me suspect
either a problem on your server or you have a severe virus infection.

Reaction score
Nt Authority\system Services.exe 128

Hi Cherry & Steve. I'm having the same problems Cherry is reporting on a W2K Professional laptop. Have you guys gotten any further with it? Hope so as I have updated, Windows and Symantec Norton AV Corp Edition, I have run Ad-aware and Spybot with the latest patches, but to no avail. I'm just now running Stinger. Just in case the solution was not Stinger can you please advice. I have run the Blaster, Sasser, GAOBOT fix tools from Norton. None of the viruses reported as being present. MTIA. Jeff ((e-mail address removed)).

Reaction score
I just got the same xact problem: NT Authority\System. In the dialogue box it has" C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe.
I followed all the procedures for removing blaster from symantec including having to run the blaster removal tool from the command prompt. It found no virus. I can't run the "shutdown -a" command from the command prompt or from the run box. Nor do I find any of the mentioned .exe files being run in the processes tab from the task manager. Also I can't do the "restart the service" thing from the services.MSC because I don't have a clue how to get admin rights for my computer even though it is my own home dam computer. Here is the kicker I think. It just started when I installed a brand new d-link wireless card in my computer. It was not doing it with the LAN cable hooked up. I think it has something to do with connectiong to the internet, because when I removed the card, the NT Authority thing stopped happening. If it is a virus how do I remove it? I've tried everything mentioned in this thread (except the stinger thing because I don't really understand how to do it from safe mode). Anybody?

Reaction score
Fixed it. Removed the new d-link wireless card, stopped the problem. So it obviously only causes this NT Authority Shutdown problem when trying to access the LAN. Then I reinstallled the card and disabled Zone Alarm, this worked too. I uninstalled ZA and reinstalled it, and now everything runs perfect, no more NT Authority Shutdown thing. I believe my problem was caused by an incompatibility code string in the registry between the firewall application and the software for the wireless adapter. Maybe this was a valid NT Authority fault, not a virus or worm. I think you could try disabling your firewall and see what happens, if it works then uninstall and reinstall it, it worked in my case. Hope this helps

Reaction score
Hi JohnnyD, I had composed a reply yesterday, but something happened that wiped my text and I was going to type it out again today. Glad to hear you fixed it. I had updated Symantec Norton AV, Ad-Aware & SpyBot Search & Detroy. But it appeared I had lots of Microsoft Updates waiting for me on Windows Automatic Update. One of them being Windows2000 SP4, odd as I was convinced I already had it. Anyway I wholesale installed everything Microsoft recommended. In my troubleshooting I had disabled RPC (remote procedure call) in services. This suddely took away (so I thought - it had just hidden them!!!) all my network and dialup connections. I started installing the modem CD again, when on a 2nd workstation I found a hit explaining how to change the registry key from disabled to started or manual. Once that changed I got my Network Connections back, by this time my modem install had messed up the modem settings I had. Eventually I got this fixed. My modem problem appeared to happen after I started getting the "services.exe 128 reboot", so I'm not sure it was the cause in my particular case. Anyway, glad both of us got it to work as having to share someone else's workstation when I wasn't wasting time fixing mine, was seriously hampering my work. Cheers mate. Jeff (London)

Reaction score
Hey

Hi , I sometimes have issues with windows(who doesnt it sucks like hell) and was wondering if there are ways I can disable all the BS where windows seems to think it owns me instead of me owning the pc. I would like to be able to disable all the oppressive stuff i.e.: cannot delete file access denied, its MY pc and MY copy of windows there are no justification for denying me ANY access to ANYTHING . I cant find virus files at times but windows wont let me delete them because they pass themselves for needed system files , had an ingeneous one once, stored itself in my temporary internet file folder and I couldnt erase it I figured well Ill erase the folder and just make a new one and name it temporary internet files and after a reboot it will be solved well I never got that far because winass wouldnt allow me to erase the folder , at times applications steal focus even if you set your system to prevent stealing focus , all sorts of background applications are unseen even when you select show all applications in the task manager , basically I want to do what any sane person should demand to be able to do: get control of MY PC!!!!

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Btw

Im sorry if this may seem to be in the wrong forum but I forgot to mention that I also have problems with the same issues as everyone else about authority system, Im scanning for worms now but I would appreciate to know if there are ways to override authority nt or even shut it off completely, MY PC should be MY AUTHORITY. Windows should always ask ME if I allow it to shut down , not shut down without my input against my freaking will.

Reaction score
System is shutting down ... c:\WINNT\system32\services ... error code 128 ...

May 27, 2010.

Dear Johnny,

I read your message below and I got the same problems as described. But, is in my PC instead of laptop. I use onboard lancard.

I need your advise what should I do with my PC to get rid of that problems.

Thanks,
Surijananta K
(e-mail address removed)
Jakarta - Indonesia.

johnny d said:
Fixed it. Removed the new d-link wireless card, stopped the problem. So it obviously only causes this NT Authority Shutdown problem when trying to access the LAN. Then I reinstallled the card and disabled Zone Alarm, this worked too. I uninstalled ZA and reinstalled it, and now everything runs perfect, no more NT Authority Shutdown thing. I believe my problem was caused by an incompatibility code string in the registry between the firewall application and the software for the wireless adapter. Maybe this was a valid NT Authority fault, not a virus or worm. I think you could try disabling your firewall and see what happens, if it works then uninstall and reinstall it, it worked in my case. Hope this helps

Ask a Question