Now im broke

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
As the Thread states, im broke at the moment.
why am i broke? i think that buying 2x evga 8800gt's may have something to do with it. But i may be mistaken :D

I should be recieving them sometime wensday. Lets see if they be worth all the ruckus .

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tut tut theres a world shortage and you have two . Think of all the poor gamers whose xmas will be bleak and low in pixel rates with no eye candy because of your good fortune . You could always gain good karma and a place in heaven by donating one to a worthy cause such as myself . Act now its not too late to save your soul .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice. :D

Enjoy then mate, should be a good boost in performance. :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Abarb- Good karma and a place in heaven, eh? and you ask me to giveth thou one? Is it not you who says pcs are tools of the devil, yet ye would desire such power? :D

V_R, i think its a bit of overkill, but perhaps this will allow me to 'keep' my system for at least anouther year. Before a overhaul is needed at least.

Pot n' Gman- im %100 sure that this will allow me to play all my games at max (hopefully). And yes i am using a 939 system, you thinking of getting one?

Reaction score
Hmm whats your system specs? I was looking at upgrading my 939 system lately! Would be nice to see what others in my posistion have come up with :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Alf said:
Abarb- Good karma and a place in heaven, eh? and you ask me to giveth thou one? Is it not you who says pcs are tools of the devil, yet ye would desire such power? :D

My mission is to save the world . If I have to use tools of the devil then so be it . There are thousands of the enemy and spawn of the devil still to be killed before the world is safe . I urge you to think again and save yourself and the world .

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

P.S. Not sure which world I'm saving at the moment .

:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Specs right now,
Proc- FX-57
Ram- 2 gigs
vid- 7900gt
psu- 560W, will upgrade to Antec 850W quattro

thats the basics i suppose. Im also sure that my proc will bottle neck the system though.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey, if this is the last time ill use the 939 system.... might as well go down in style :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
:D
dont you think its about time for you to upgrade your system?

Reaction score
Im on it!

Another gig of Ram
8800GT
and some dual core 4200 AMD cpu thing!

After I get my sexy new monitor though ofc! :p

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well after spend the better part of the day installing and testing the 8800GT's i have to say im impressed. :D

First i benchmarked my 'old' system, whos specs follow
Proc- AMD FX-57
Vid- Asus 7900GT
Ram- 2 Gigs DDR 400
HDD- 250Gb WD caviar
PSU- (new) Antec 850W
Sound- X-FI Fatality Pro

then a single 8800gt and finally both of them in SLI. With my 7900gt; Oblivion, Bioshock and UT3 played great... at 'medium' settings more or less. So i decided to max the games out to see what kinda of power differnce there is.

the 7900GT got and avreage of 15-20 fps in Oblvion, painful to play. In Bioshock 19-30 fps. And in UT3, 15-20 fps.
So i switched out cards (uninstalling the old drivers of course) and slapped in a 8800GT. Once up n' running played all the games again, this time there was a very noticeable differnce :D.

The 8800GT averaged about 40-50 fps in Oblivion! only dipping into the 30s when it was loading a new area. Bioshock had similar increase with and average of 50 fps, and UT3 40-50 depending on whats going on. On a side note, UT3 looks fantastic at max detail!

I am still testing out the SLI part of things. Not sure if i got it right, but i havent had any problems. To make sure i could handle the additional power requirments, i bout me a new Antec Quattro 850W PSU :D

With this much differnce in power i deceided to run 3Dmark 05.
7900 GT - 7,860
8800GT - 14,053
2x 8800GT- 14,000

Impressive nontheless. But in SLI there isnt anydiffernce, im sure its a error on my part, but i dont know how to correct this 'problem'. Set everything up nvidia console, set the card up witha dautherboard and whatnot. Its hard to tell if im getting SLI calibur performance right now, considering the 8800GT is so powerful in the first place.

Also, been playing Crysis for about 2-3 hours now (good game by the way) and i know its a brutal engine, but can anyone with simiar specs tell me what kinda of perfomance your getting? :D

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Oh, And i play at 1600x1050 widescreen resolution.

Ask a Question