nothing on cd after I copy pictures to it

Reaction score
I need some help. I have Windows XP and I am attempting to copy pictures saved on my hard drive (in "My Pictures) to a cd. I have followed the whole process from beginning to end and have looked it up a billion times in a billion places to make sure there was nothing I was missing. I go through the whole process, my camera wizard shows that it is burning the cd and I get no error messages, but then when I look at the cd, it shows that it no longer has any memory space, but nothing is on the cd. This also happens when I try the whole process using my SonicRecordNow. It goes through the whole process, but then nothing is on the cd. I AM however able to burn music.

The ironic thing is that I have been able to successfully copy pictures in the past, but even then it was complicated. I was able to burn cd's sometimes and not others, and the only connection I ended up seeing was that when I included certain pictures, the cd did not work. I chalked it up to "bad files" or something. However, now, even when I've done practice cd's only with the pictures I was able to successfully burn before, that doesn't work either.

I have been super careful about not downloading stuff because of fear of viruses. I rarely even use my computer actually. I'm wondering what has changed since I've been able to do this before.

One more thing (don't have any idea if this even means anything): When I am in the copying phase of the process, sometimes it asks me about a file named "thumbs." It asks if I want to skip it or not, because some of the info would be lost, but the file will not be affected. I've tried all options when that screen has come up, I have no idea if this "thumbs" file is related to my problem or anything.

I did read somewhere about upgrading programs so that they don't conflict with each other (the cd burning utility already built into my computer and my SonicRecordNow). Will upgrading anything possibly help?

Does anyone have any suggestions where I should start with this?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just one thread in one section please, posting an identical thread in another forum section will not get you any answers any faster, it will just lead to confusion with replies spread across 2 threads.

I've never heard of this SonicRecordNow but it sounds like a pile of crap to me.

If you want to burn data or photo CD's, use Nero. You can pick up an OEM copy of Nero for about a fiver if you search, it's THE best burning program for Windows out there at the moment.

And I think the reference to 'thumbs' would probably mean 'do you want a set of thumbnail pix burnt to the CD as well' though I'm only guessing. And I'm assuming you're using Win XP, but again, I don't know.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you have Win XP, then you "need" NO burning software ... :)

Open My Documents

Select the files you want to burn to CD.

Hold down the CTRL key while you click files if you want to select more than one file. If you want to select all the files in the folder, click on Select All from the Edit menu.
  1. Right-click on one of the files you've selected.
  2. From the menu that pops up, point to Send to and click on Cd-RW Drive.
Go back to My Computer

Double-click on the CD-RW Drive icon.

To the left of your files, there is a list of links called CD Writing Tasks. Click on Write these files to CD.

Begin using the CD writing Wizard ...

Windows will prompt you to insert a writable CD. Insert a writable CD and click Next.

insert_cd.jpg

Windows will burn the files to your CD. When the wizard is finished, it will close automatically.

Failing that, use Windows Help & Support, it will guide you through this process.

or

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTip/id-3867,subcat-OS.html

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I have done all the necessary steps to burn photos to a cd using my Windows XP. It goes through the whole process, making me wait while it shows me that it is copying, then writing the cd. When I look at the cd after it is done, however, there is nothing on the cd, and all the cd's memory (or free space) is used up.

I recognized that my cd burning program that I have might be a bad one, so I've deleted that. I'm assuiming that I should still be able to just burn using XP?

I've tried the whole process on my parents computer (they have Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002, I have Home Edition). I was able to burn without a problem.

Could this be a problem with my actual burner? That would confuse me as well, since I have been able to successfully burn music cds. I have also looked in my drive's properties, comparing them to my parents'. I see no differences, no settings different or anything. Furthermore, I was comparing the computers in general, not finding any differences.

Does anyone think everything could be solved by re-installing my Windows XP? I'm wondering if somewhere along the line, something got screwed up in my system, some setting was changed, or something else that I'll never be able to find on my own. I'm so confused!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
I have tried to find out some info on Sonic RecordNow, but, I get my Haute Secure poping up with a RED warning and fortunately blocks access to these sites. So I think I'll give SonicRN a miss ... :rolleyes:

I've tried the whole process on my parents computer (they have Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002, I have Home Edition). I was able to burn without a problem.
Good, shows you the "process" does work. :thumb:

Could this be a problem with my actual burner?
Yep, it could, what burner is it ? Can it 'read' any CD/DVDs ? although, you may have a writing problem, reading should still work.

Re-installing XP is a little drastic, unless you have loads of nasties on your PC ... merely uninstalling the CD/DVD drive, in device mangler, and rebooting WILL reinstall the drivers from Windows.

:user:

Reaction score
Wow, thanks so much, very helpful.

I agree, the most likely culprit here is something wrong with my actual burner/D drive. In answer to your question, yes, it can read CD/DVDS. When I put cd's in that other people have made for me (containing either pictures or music), my computer reads them just fine, which leads me to believe, like you said, it's a writing problem.

Only thing confusing with that is that my boyfriend periodically burns music cd's, and successfully. He has used the SonicRecordNow (which he'll have to use something else now obviously since I've removed that program). Keep in mind, however, that although he was able to successfully burn audio cd's using the RecordNow program, I wasn't able to burn picture cd's successfully, weird. I have tried in the past to burn picture cd's using both XP (copying them to the temporary folder, then writing using Camera Wizard) as well as the SonicRecordNow. Both methods produced the same results; they went through the motions of the process, looked like everything was fine, then when I checked out the finished cd, nothing on it (and no more free space).

So I'm intrigued by your suggestion to uninstall the CD/DVD drive. Can you walk me through that a bit?

Are you saying that once I uninstall the CD/DVD drive and simply restart, it will reinstall it again? Pardon my ignorance, haha. I also have original software, and one of the cd's says that it is "Drivers and Utilities" with contents: device drivers, diagnostics and utilities,etc. and another that says "Application" with contents: antivirus software, support software, multimedia software,etc. (I also ahve my operating system reinstallation cd's for XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1a and XP Professional Service Pack 2).

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Also, anyone have any suggestions for good, safe, legit free cd burning software that I can download possibly temporarily? I'm thinking I should try to burn using a third party in the meanwhile (I got rid of that SonicRecordNow because it makes me nervous now). If I can burn successfully using a 3rd party, I'll just be satisfied and just chalk it up to my XP not being compatible with the driver or something. If using a 3rd party still doesn't work (as it wasn't with Sonic), then I know for sure it's my computer.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TaliaGIU said:
Also, anyone have any suggestions for good, safe, legit free cd burning software that I can download possibly temporarily?

This software is supposed to be good, although I've not tried it myself:

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah, more information, this is good ... ;)

copying them to the temporary folder, then writing using Camera Wizard
Camera Wizard?

I dunno, as you again forgot to tell us, what camera you have or what this software is supposed to do, but they are usually very bad programs for anything more than using the CD as a bird scare, or a drinks coaster. naw, forget that.

Are you saying that once I uninstall the CD/DVD drive and simply restart, it will reinstall it again?
Yep ... :thumb:

CD/DVD drives are not 'supplied' with drivers per-say, Windows has them, they are what we term, generic drivers ... simply "remove hardware" using device mangler will make XP reinstall the drivers or at least, see the Drive and reinstall anything that is needed.

... and all the cd's memory (or free space) is used up
this is normal, however, you should be able to read/see anything that was written to the CD

If all three processes failed, SonicRecordNow/camera software & XPs own writing software, and without me actually seeing the thing, then I would say there is indeed a problem with the burner ... by all means, try Ian's link and give cdburnerxp a tryout, nothing to loose. ;)

There is one point we are neglecting, that is the 'media' (the blank disks) that you are using ... are they 'branded' or some PCWorld special ?

I have a DVDRW that will write/read CDs but will not write or read DVDs ... I replaced it.

You can tell us the name of the CD/DVD writer, we won't laugh. :D

:user:

Reaction score
What did I forget to tell you before? I'm sorry, I have told you all the information that I thought was necessary.

I have a CanonPowershot SD800IS. I'm sorry I was not specific with "camera wizard," I am referring the the scanner and camera wizard program that Windows uses to burn cds (XP's own writing software).

I realize that it is normal that all the cd's memory is used up and that is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps I should word this better. When I am able to successfully burn pictures onto cd's using my parent's computer (using the Windows XP Professional own writing software), when I am done and put the cd back in, it will show me that there is a certain amount of space left. When I burn it using their computer, it also works, and when I view the cd, all of the pictures are on it.

When I follow the SAME process on my computer, and then look at the cd, it shows there is nothing on the cd, it is virtually blank. Also, interestingly, it shows zero (o) free space, it doesn't show how much was used up as it does when I look at a successfully burned cd. Also, my drive has no problem reading other cds of pictures that friends have burned for me.

In terms of the blank cd's I am using, I didn't think that should really matter. As far as I know, I have been using Memorex blank CD-R's. Again, I was successful in burning pictures onto them on another computer.

I guess I am wondering if this is a problem with my computer (the drive) or my system (Windows XP). I don't really know what to do next. I am assuming I will have to take it to a professional and have them look around.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
TaliaGIU said:
Also, anyone have any suggestions for good, safe, legit free cd burning software that I can download possibly temporarily? I'm thinking I should try to burn using a third party in the meanwhile (I got rid of that SonicRecordNow because it makes me nervous now). If I can burn successfully using a 3rd party, I'll just be satisfied and just chalk it up to my XP not being compatible with the driver or something. If using a 3rd party still doesn't work (as it wasn't with Sonic), then I know for sure it's my computer.

Is this the program you are suspicious about :rolleyes::cool:

http://www.sonic.com/

http://www.download.com/RecordNow/3000-2646_4-10292812.html

http://www.brothersoft.com/mp3_audio/cd_burners/sonic_recordnow_49231.html

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
What did I forget to tell you before?
The name of the CD/DVD drive ... ;)

it shows zero (o) free space
This is normal, see my attachment ... sounds to me as if something is being burned but not correctly.

One reason we like to know what 'media' you are using is, they all ain't as good as one another. Memorex are in my good books though. :D

I would agree with your assumption ... there is something wrong with the drive.

However, those of us who can, will first "test" the drive in another PC ... if that sounds a little too much or you to attempt, then a visit to a "friendly" PC shop may be in order ... a good PC Repair shop/man does NOT include PCWorld who WILL require money to have a look.

OK ... just try this for me;

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/printit/archive.mspx

... it is a little better explanation that the one I originally gave ... if that don't "work" correctly, then I would be removing the drive to try in another PC

:thumb:

Attachments

• cdfreespace.JPG
    cdfreespace.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 95

muckshifter

Reaction score
Reaction score
Well I think it's safe to say that something is wrong with my burner. (oh and by the way, when I didn't answer what kind of burner it was earlier, I didn't really understand the question. I mean my built-in burner that came in my Dell Inspiron)

I have gone through my computer and cleared out anything suspicious or that I should not need.

I uninstalled my cd/dvr drive and rebooted. I also completely removed the Sonic Record Now program (by Roxio?) and then tried burning using the XP utility again. No luck.

I reinstalled the SonicRecordNow and tried to burn a data cd, same thing as before. I tried to burn a music cd using SonicRecordNow, and as it's been, that WAS successful.

I'm stumped. Basically I know my burner can write to a cd. It definitely can successfully write audio files to make a music cd. It also appears like it can write pictures, because in both the XP utility and the SonicRecordNow, it goes through the whole process, but I end up with a cd that has all it's free space used up. However, it appears there is nothing on it.

I did read a random article that mentioned that in past informal tests, older Windows XP systems had problems with successfully burning pictures onto cd's, but by using a third party software, it usually was ok. In my case, that doesn't help either though.

I have been searching high and low for other people that have run into this problem, ironically what originally brought me to this website was a very old post from someone back in '04 that describes the same problem. Unfortunately none of the solutions given help me (I tried all that apply). Here is that post:
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-542733.php

I guess all that is left to do is to have a professional look at my drive, right?

Reaction score
Yes, muckshifter, thanks for the lead, butunfortunately i have already read that MS article on "fixing a balky burner." It was actually one of the first articles that I came across when diving into this challenge, and when I originally saw, it gave me hope! Alas, I've tried everything in there too. Everything is (and as far as I know, has been) as it should be in my CD drive's properties, ugh.

It's just so weird, you know? It would be one thing if my drive wasn't working altogether, or even if it could read but not write. But it's just so odd that it can read, it can write music, but not pictures. Furthermore, I don't get error messages, it appears as it is writing them, then they just "aren't there" when I look at the cd.

I will have a professional look at it. I feel satifsfied I have tried all of the possible solutions that my computer rookie brain can understand and handle.

Thanks for trying to help though!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've got to say that this is one of the strangest problems I've ever come across :eek:

Let us know any eventual outcome, would you please TaliaGIU.

Reaction score
Will do!

I don't know if I should feel special or scared (that this is the strangest problem you've ever come across)...

Reaction score
TaliaGIU said:
What did I forget to tell you before? I'm sorry, I have told you all the information that I thought was necessary.

I have a CanonPowershot SD800IS. I'm sorry I was not specific with "camera wizard," I am referring the the scanner and camera wizard program that Windows uses to burn cds (XP's own writing software).

I realize that it is normal that all the cd's memory is used up and that is what is supposed to happen. Perhaps I should word this better. When I am able to successfully burn pictures onto cd's using my parent's computer (using the Windows XP Professional own writing software), when I am done and put the cd back in, it will show me that there is a certain amount of space left. When I burn it using their computer, it also works, and when I view the cd, all of the pictures are on it.

When I follow the SAME process on my computer, and then look at the cd, it shows there is nothing on the cd, it is virtually blank. Also, interestingly, it shows zero (o) free space, it doesn't show how much was used up as it does when I look at a successfully burned cd. Also, my drive has no problem reading other cds of pictures that friends have burned for me.

In terms of the blank cd's I am using, I didn't think that should really matter. As far as I know, I have been using Memorex blank CD-R's. Again, I was successful in burning pictures onto them on another computer.

I guess I am wondering if this is a problem with my computer (the drive) or my system (Windows XP). I don't really know what to do next. I am assuming I will have to take it to a professional and have them look around.

Found the website http://www.sonic.com/

The laser could be not burning data onto the disc and maybe damaged.

Most dvd,cd copyer burn data or audio,etc with heat see if the disc is hot when done.

But looks like the laser is,nt burning right.

See if you can try a spare cd,dvd copyer.

Ask a Question