6years NC
.998 litre car
No present points and 40 years old

Oh boy am I hacked off!!!!

Halifax you wait until I get onto the phone to you

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have you tried Moneysupermarket, Gocompare or Confused.com? Got my 1.8 litre car with wife and two daughters on too for £196.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, my car insurance went from 600 to 700 this year.

Wanna know why?

Americans.

Americans love to sue everybody cos they are very materialistic.

And as Americans influence Brit culture through the Beach Boys, Automotive Engineering, language, hip-hop and even Californian wine so do their legal practices infiltrate here like a slow-creeping virus.

There are now high street shops encouraging everybody to take legal action if they tripped on a cracked paving stone.

So, humans being human and greedy buggers, they do. Those suing make a few grand, perhaps a few hundred, but they make.

The legal companies encouraging this behaviour skim a percentage and gradually grow rich, riding on the back of human frailty, weakness and greed.

Those who pocket some cash cos they've sued somebody feel good but in time their actions come back at them in spades in the form of increased insurance policies. Somebody has to pay for the freeloaders after all.

Blame greed and those encouraging legal action for increased insurance policies.

To my mind it's a very sad situation indeed and as much as I love America and American people, I loathe this influence.

Reaction score
I tried gocompare and comparethemarket

niether of them came up with anything good

infact the most expensive was £2761 pmsl

Was I lying about my age?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's an article on this very subject, I've heard lots of people say that prices have gone up loads too :(:

http://www.citywire.co.uk/money/why...r/a448497?ref=citywire-money-latest-news-list

About 5 years ago it was almost impossible to insure a car in the area we used to live in (especially when combined with being a student). My yearly insurance was going to cost almost as much as the car :eek:... safe to say, we waited a while longer!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
I'm with Flops on this! But there have been some incredible paid out lately which are bound to have an impact on all our premiums.

There was a cyclist over here in Guernsey who got knocked off his bike several years ago and they have just settled his claim for over £14m!

Yes, you did read it right, and no I didn't forget a decimal point, I did say fourteen million pounds. Now I do feel sorry for the guy, but lets get serious, can this really be justified?

Reaction score
I did hear the government is getting ontop of this personal injury crap and wants to clamp down.

However without trying to start a political arguement. If it goes anything like the election or other choices they have to make its going to be 2015 when anything is passed through

I'm now unsure if I can afford to insure my car. I need to to visit my son 45miles away and of course to attend job interviews. If my insurance goes too high I will have no choice but to stop paying....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Blame greed and those encouraging legal action for increased insurance policies.

Yep, that's the main cause of increased premiums. Read in this morning's paper that 20% of all premiums are now paid out to whiplash claims. Seems that even the slightest bump now results in "whiplash".

It's a scam - the claimants know it, the claimants' lawyers know it, the insurance companies know it and we all know it. But, it's just about impossible to disprove. :(

Reaction score
I just had a quote> car renault 1.5 grand scenic 2010 Pay Annual £298.04

Monthly price available on the provider's site.

Total:
£350.00

Voluntary:
£250.00

Compulsory:
£100.00

Me thinks something your doing is wrong?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
I just had a quote> car renault 1.5 grand scenic 2010 Pay Annual £298.04

Monthly price available on the provider's site.

Total:
£350.00

Voluntary:
£250.00

Compulsory:
£100.00

Me thinks something your doing is wrong?

Well lemme see:

Full no claims bonus, have had for years.

Full driving licence for 42 years, car & motorcycle.

No outstanding penalty points or convictions.

Peugeot 406 LX Estate or Volvo V70 estate, haven't decided yet.

Quoted between £635.00 and £700.00 fully comp with legal cover, pay first £250.00, protected no claims bonus.

Have had two prangs in two years, neither of which proved to be my fault and the insurance companies accept this.

Perhaps it's once you get past age 60 or something?

Or maybe those two prangs make a difference anyway?

I will have a look around but I don't hold out high hopes.

Incidentally, it's only £50.00 less than fully comp for TPF & T.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aug 2009 £289.51

Aug 2010 £347.38

Mitsubishi Equip 1.9 Di

£100 excess
NCD protection
Breakdown + Recovery + Home Call

One SP30 from 2008

One car park shunt 2009 my fault.
One windscreen replacement(£50) 2009

Mine is with Zurich. I think it is a pretty fair charge really as me car park shunt cost £1350 for my car alone which I thought was extortionate for a small dent and a couple of scratches. Not complaining though as I got a free job on the rear quarter top and the rear door done for nowt just to help the repair blend in. ;)

TD you could always get one of these,

http://www.surreycompany.com/impello.htm

http://www.elecscoot.co.uk/details.php?modelRef= 1

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It may also be location I suppose and my vehicle isn't garaged.

Greenwich = prime crime area :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just made several enquiries and Have managed to save about £30.00 but they're all pretty much a muchness.

Interestingly, the policy price went from £547 to £660 just to include protected no claims bonus.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Just made several enquiries and Have managed to save about £30.00 but they're all pretty much a muchness.

Interestingly, the policy price went from £547 to £660 just to include protected no claims bonus.

£100 hike for Protected No Claims is a bit like daylight robbery. Think your right about the postal code lottery.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
|PP|
Q™™™Q
i L_½Mj

yo.

Well you started it, sue this, sue that, alimony here, alimony there and use of the evergreen expression: I'll sue your ass!' ;)

You could have quoted the other bit, you know, the nice bit :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Going to be more people on roads without Insurance I guarantee that

True, that, but now the police simply tap your reg no into a database and it tells them instantly whether the vehicle is insured or not. Same goes for MOT.

Which could possibly lead to a lot more convictions. And convictions, in general, despite fines and community service, usually cost Society more than they make. Which of course costs the goverment more money and could lead to cuts or possibly a rise in taxation.

I actually suffered whiplash when I was driven into from the rear on October 2nd. It bothered me for about a whole 36 hours. I haven't claimed.

What does that make me? Mug or Honourable? I'm still not sure.

Ask a Question