Norton Sysytem works error in XPpro

Pondsurfer

Help please,

I have a Dell Inspiron 100 laptop running XPpro 5.1.
I have installed Norton Sysyemworks 2003 (I experienced the
same problem with Systemworks 2002)
We also have a dell desktop running XPhome and this problem
DOES NOT occur on it.

The problem:
Upon boot-up, just as or just before the userlist appears
on the screen there is a single 'low tone' system beep
heard. After choosing either of the two users, as the
desktop populates, there is immediately a window entitled:

Norton Protection: Attention!

There is a red 'ball' with an 'X' and the message:

Access Denied, Drive C:

There is an 'OK' button.

Clicking OK clears the window and there does not APPEAR to
be any other problems.

I have unistalled and reinstalled AND upgraded Norton -
same problem occurs.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanx!

PJ
(e-mail address removed)

John Ski

Subject: Norton Sysytem works error in XPpro
From: "Pondsurfer" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/31/2004 11:02 AM Eastern Standard Time

[...]

Allow me to save everyone a lot of trouble and say "Your problem is that you're
posting from AOHell. Get a real ISP and maybe we can help you!"

Now that the required crap comment on AOL has been done, can anyone help this
person?

Cheers,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

dglock

yes, get rid of norton!
its a buggy resource hog of a program that causes more
problems then it solves!
get a real anti-virus program like mcafee.
don

Johnny_1

[...]

.
Take a look at this article:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/0f75ab1a998228
3d88256c250066dc94/a16b5b999255f47088256b2f0056cd16?
OpenDocument&prod=&ver=&src=sg&pcode=&svy=&csm=no
(watch the wrap, wrap, wrap)
That seams to describe your error.

Search the Symantec knowledge base:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html

Hope this helps! A lot of people don't like Norton's, but
I've been using it forever. 2004 version is even better.
Yes it is a resource hog, but I have never had a virus
sneak past Norton.

Plato

Pondsurfer said:
I have a Dell Inspiron 100 laptop running XPpro 5.1.
I have installed Norton Sysyemworks 2003 (I experienced the
same problem with Systemworks 2002)

Yet another victom of systemworks. Best NOT to use it.

Bob Harris

I have System works 2003, and it works well with XP home. In contrast,
system works 2002 was a bit flaky, especially the live update feature.

When I have had problems with System Works components, I have contacted
Symantec support, and they have been pretty good about providing a fixes.
In some cases the fix was to uninstall/reinstall. In other cases it was a
bit of registry editting, or simple configuration settings.

Try contacting them.